FYI Incredible PBX with Raspberry Pi 2

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Grant,

Send me a PM if you like. I can take your card and install a generic version on my Pi and ship it back to you (should you like).

Andrew

Grant_N7AS

Reaction score
Are you able to log in to the RPi2 using SSH or console and navigate Linux? Can you use a text editor to change a file? That's really the only fundamental thing to learn on your own before we can make some great progress here. Ast-GUI is a fine platform and well suited to the small device you have. Just a slightly steeper learning curve than some other options.

I can log in to the Pi using PuTTY which is how I initially set it up. I did find that Ctl-C and Ctl-V didn't work as usuall, but Ctl-C did work and at the prompt, I clicked the right mouse button to paste. I found that by accident.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't think you're going to find FreePBX any easier to learn if you're having trouble editing a file with Linux. It is a gui but intuitive it's not. You've got a lot of reading ahead of you before any platform makes much sense.

Reaction score
I'd recommend using either a VPS or VirtualBox (some great tutorials on this site!) to install both platforms and experiment.

In my personal opinion, IncrediblePBX 11 with FreePBX (eg: RaspberryPi 1, beaglebone or pogoplug) is easier to use than IncrediblePBX using asterisk-GUI (eg: RaspberryPi 2) however to Wards point they both require some Linux know-how.

My ideal platform is a RaspberryPi 2 with IncrediblePBX/FreePBX however since that isn't available yet I've decided on a pogoplug for now. It works great. I would have never know my preference if I hadn't tinkered with both systems on a virtual private server I rented from Ramnode for $5. Taught me A LOT about Linux too!

Good Luck!

Grant_N7AS

Reaction score
Let me try again. There is no FreePBX GUI option at this time for a Raspberry Pi 2. There is a FreePBX GUI edition for the original Raspberry Pi, but it won't boot on a Raspberry Pi 2. So you would have to start with a Raspberry Pi and upgrade it to the latest release of Raspbian. Then you could use that microSD card to boot up a Raspberry Pi 2. We don't recommend this approach, but it does work.

When time permits, we will release an updated version with the FreePBX GUI for the Raspberry Pi 2 platform. We don't have a release date in mind at the moment. Functionally, the existing build for the Raspberry Pi 2 platform does 95% of what most PBX users need and use with this device.

I ordered a Raspberry Pi B+ and a 16GB MicroSDHC card from Amazon so I can start fresh.
While reading ...
The Definitive VoIP Quickstart Guide: Incredible PBX for the Raspberry Pi B+

It referenced the image file. Does this image file includ the OS and FreePBX ? There is no mention of RASPBIAN. It mentioned piaf3-install.tar and when extracted it was a very small file under 40KB. That does not seem like an image file. It probably should be 3.5GB or larger.
Can someone point me to the correct image file for the Pi B= ?

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Grant,

The download you want is (I believe):
Code:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pbxinaflash/files/IncrediblePi-1.x-Debian-6/
This will get copied to your SD card via Win32 Disk Imager (not in the download, a separate download).

Put the SD card in the Pi and boot.

The card is OS, PBX, and add-ons (faxing, for example). Just follow the how-to and you'll be up and running. Raspian (a Debian variant) is the OS and is part of the image. The file is approximately 1.3 GB download; the file you unzipped may have been a loader file - i.e. it downloads lots of other stuff to create the file(s) need to run (not entirely sure since I don't have your file).

Per Ward's earlier advice, you'll need to update the OS if you want to move the card to the Pi2.

Andrew

Grant_N7AS

Reaction score

When I clicked on 'Download the latest incredible Pi package' it brought me to the SourceForge page with 28 files listed. I picked incrediblepi-3.11.tar.gz and downloaded, extracted and the img (raspbian7-incrediblepi-07-28-2014) was there. Step 2 says Decompress the tarball: tar zxvf incrediblepi-version.tar.gz. I didn't see those files.
Dis find the correct file?
I will be getting my Pi B+ and card tomorrow 04/23 so I can't tell if it works till then.

discipulus

Reaction score
Grant_N7AS, do you have any Linux experience?

IncrediblePBX, Asterisk, FreePBX, and Asterisk-GUI are all built on top of Linux. Generally speaking, it's recommended that you have some general Linux knowledge before attempting a project like a DIY PBX system. And even then, PBX is a different beast. There's a lot to learn. I recommend going here for a 5-minute primer on Linux - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/100

I think it will help.

Grant, if I can ask, what has you interested in a PBX system?

Grant_N7AS

Reaction score
Grant_N7AS, do you have any Linux experience?

IncrediblePBX, Asterisk, FreePBX, and Asterisk-GUI are all built on top of Linux. Generally speaking, it's recommended that you have some general Linux knowledge before attempting a project like a DIY PBX system. And even then, PBX is a different beast. There's a lot to learn. I recommend going here for a 5-minute primer on Linux - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/100

I think it will help.

Grant, if I can ask, what has you interested in a PBX system?

I would like to provide extensions to myself and family members. I do use Obihai products such as OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi292 and OBi1032 IP Phone. I also would like to use my Cisco SPA942 and Yealink SIP-T28P. I kinda retired MY Linksys PAP2T.

discipulus

Reaction score
Just a recommendation, but if you have no interest in learning Linux, or how to administer a Linux server by getting down and dirty with the terminal, then you should probably use a service like Phone Booth. Linux and OSS can be fun, but it can also be extremely frustrating as well. Good luck.

Grant_N7AS

Reaction score
Just a recommendation, but if you have no interest in learning Linux, or how to administer a Linux server by getting down and dirty with the terminal, then you should probably use a service like Phone Booth. Linux and OSS can be fun, but it can also be extremely frustrating as well. Good luck.

That's $20.00 per user (extension) not to mention whatever they soak you per minute. NO WAY. I already have the hardware and plenty of DISs not to mention about 15 GoogleVoice numbers at last count. I think I last counted a year or two ago, so it may be more.

discipulus

Reaction score
Have you gotten your Pi working yet? Where are you at with it?

Grant_N7AS

Reaction score
Now that I have my Raspberry Pi B+ it's time to put the image on the MicroSDHC card.

As per the instructions on 'The Definitive VoIP Quickstart Guide: Incredible PBX for the Raspberry Pi B+'

1. Download the latest Incredible Pi package
I downloaded this - incrediblepi-3.11.tar.gz2014-07-281.3 GB

2. Decompress the tarball: tar zxvf incrediblepi-version.tar.gz
I decompressed tatball.tar - Where does this go?
Where is zxvf incrediblepi-version.tar.gz ?

3. Copy .img file to SDHC using image utility or script
I know where the img file is - raspbian7-incrediblepi-07-28-2014
Is that the correct .img file that contains the OS and FreePBX?
The rest will be easy.

4. Insert microSD card into Raspberry Pi

5. Boot the Raspberry Pi from Incredible Pi microSD card

Did I download the correct file?

matthew

Guru
Reaction score
Grant, "incrediblepi-version.tar.gz" is just a way of saying get whatever is the current version of the incrediblepi package. In your case, substitute the word "version" with "3.11" and you know you have version 3.11.

zxvf are options passed to the tar utility (itself being named from Tape ARchive). They literally tell tar to eXtract Verbosely the following gZipped File.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.