FOOD FOR THOUGHT PIAF pre Version 3 no longer available

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
A decision by the PIAF team was made to "turn off and archive" all versions of PBX in a Flash prior to the current 3.X. Because of the Centos fiasco and having to shift paradigms in mid development we have started to notice people still installing the old <UNSUPPORTED> PIAF 2.x from the 2065 iso. Unfortunately this is no longer supported or maintained. We were getting a number of complaints and requests for support for the old version and we cannot support it. If the Centos fiasco had not occurred we would have released a new ISO with all the fixes by now. All water under the bridge. The older versions of piaf just do not work so it is best to make a clean break of things.

We have also turned off all of the old repos and only maintain the PIAF3 repo now. None of the older repos have been updated in years so it was pointless to keep using the bandwidth. Yes you will get an error if you are still running the old repos so you should remove the /etc/yum.repos.d/ piaf6, piaf64/etc repos. We cannot predict what would happen if you placed in the latest repo info (piaf3.repo) and since we have none of the old systems laying around we do not recommend it. ( Yes I had an email from someone still running the original version of PIAF 1.0! Complaining we don't support it). I really wish at times we were a commercial venture with lots of money however.......

We are constantly updating the piaf3 repo these days with new builds and inclusions so there will be times over the coming weeks where you *MIGHT* see piaf3 repo errors. Please be patient and try again later. It takes a certain amount of time for all of the changes to be propagated out into PIAF space up to 24 hours so please be patient we are trying.

PIAF 4 is on the way! We are excited about rolling this product out as there will be a unified installer and a much simpler paradigm with a single monolithic installer for all versions of supported asterisk families.

Thanks for your understanding

The PIAF Team

TriStarGod

Reaction score
By "turning off old repos", does this mean existing updates (update-fixes and update-programs) for PIAF 2 are no longer available? Time to DL PIAF 4 :eek:

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
The old PIAF2.x programs have not been touched in over a year. The PIAF3x programs are nearing EOL which means that they will continue to be available but no further changes will occur.

The PIAF3 repo will remain for the PIAF3 projects. The piaf2 repos should not be used as they are not being maintained. Thus move up to piaf3 or wait till piaf4 comes out!

PIAF4 will be coming out in 64 bit this time. 8^) RSN

Tom

Ramblin

Guru
Reaction score
I am still on a PIAF2 install and am looking to become current.

If PIAF4 is coming soon, and is considered production-ready on launch, I'd prefer to wait for v4 instead of learning v3 and then having to (later) move to v4.

To allay the lawyer in you, I will not hold you to an absolute date, but rather, would like your current best guess as to the time for v4 launch.

Is v4 going to work on CentOS 6 or will it require CentOS 7 (if using CentOS)?

Will I still have the PIAF-Green option (ie FreePBX) for PIAF4 or is it all going to the new GUI in v4?

For how long will you support PIAF3 after v4 has been released?

What are the key things coming in v4 that would make it worth the wait? (yes, I know this is a subjective question based on my situation, so I leave it to you to determine the best stuff)

R

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
I am still on a PIAF2 install and am looking to become current.

If PIAF4 is coming soon, and is considered production-ready on launch, I'd prefer to wait for v4 instead of learning v3 and then having to (later) move to v4.

To allay the lawyer in you, I will not hold you to an absolute date, but rather, would like your current best guess as to the time for v4 launch.

Is v4 going to work on CentOS 6 or will it require CentOS 7 (if using CentOS)?

Will I still have the PIAF-Green option (ie FreePBX) for PIAF4 or is it all going to the new GUI in v4?

For how long will you support PIAF3 after v4 has been released?

What are the key things coming in v4 that would make it worth the wait? (yes, I know this is a subjective question based on my situation, so I leave it to you to determine the best stuff)

R

So Many Questions! Sorry been away some on other matters and just trying to finish things up to get v4 released.

When.... Hopefully end of this month

Centos 6.7 ... CO7 hmmm still thinking on that. Other OS's SL for sure and others maybe.

Asterisk 11 and 13 only

PIAF3 was archived earlier this year. Everything is still in place and will remain so for the time being

NO FREEPBX ANYMORE (keeps our life simpler) PIAF3 is the last time you will see freepbx

V4 written from ground up just cuz. Simpler with less bloat. Much better delineation between PIAF4 and Incredible.

Should have the same security features as Incredible

Unified install Choose piaf or incredible 11 or 13 (this may come out a little later as we are struggling with the best way to do this)

Updated configuration module for piaf4

The differences between piaf4 and incredible continue to be minimalist versus kitchen sink

Same insane level of security

neorouter included in base install

et al

Tom

Ramblin

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Tom

One of the reasons I stay with PIAF is because of how responsive you are, and once again, you show it through your actions.

Looking forward to seeing v4

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Tom

One of the reasons I stay with PIAF is because of how responsive you are, and once again, you show it through your actions.

Looking forward to seeing v4

Richard

Well I hate to say I have been somewhat absent due to personal issues but I have been slogging away at things since I managed to clean up (somewhat) my personal stuff. It was time to look at simplifying stuff again. I firmly believe that software goes through 3 stages

1. Very simple does a minimal job (think model t)
2. Complex does a great job with way too many features (think any of the current crop of cars)
3. Simple and efficient Combines the best of simple and complex into something "that just works" (can't think of a car example yet)

Hopefully PIAF4 will be at stage 3. We have looked at all the other projects in V3 and decided to concentrate on the core and release other portions as time progresses. Still would like a bleeding edge version for "fun" but that will have to wait.

Don't forget Unca Ward... He has been kinda kicking my butt lately with incredible releases :2guns:

Tom

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
NO FREEPBX ANYMORE (keeps our life simpler) PIAF3 is the last time you will see freepbx

V4 written from ground up just cuz. Simpler with less bloat. Much better delineation between PIAF4 and Incredible.

et al

Tom

"NO FREEPBX ANYMORE" are we looking at a new gui front end

gary

Ramblin

Guru
Reaction score
My "you" was meant to include Ward; you have both been great.

If you'd like to read an interesting (and famous) version of what you just said about cars, try The Innovator's Dilemma, by Harvard professor and businessman Clayton Christensen.

He gives multiple examples of vendors with an original product that was good, and and then took on so much scope creep (and price to go with it) that most people start looking for alternatives. The most glaring example to me is Microsoft - use Word as a specific product example) - that I'd be willing to bet 80% of the people only use 20% of its capabilities (but everyone pays for 100% of the product). So now we have LibreOffice and others, including online alternatives, eating away at what was once a dominant position for Microsoft.

So, it is good to see you not falling for the same trap. You re-engineer your product to keep it's original raison-d'etre alive before someone else does it to you.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
"NO FREEPBX ANYMORE" are we looking at a new gui front end

gary
hopefully the incredible GUI still working on it for PIAF4 works just fine in the incredible pbx

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
My "you" was meant to include Ward; you have both been great.

If you'd like to read an interesting (and famous) version of what you just said about cars, try The Innovator's Dilemma, by Harvard professor and businessman Clayton Christensen.

He gives multiple examples of vendors with an original product that was good, and and then took on so much scope creep (and price to go with it) that most people start looking for alternatives. The most glaring example to me is Microsoft - use Word as a specific product example) - that I'd be willing to bet 80% of the people only use 20% of its capabilities (but everyone pays for 100% of the product). So now we have LibreOffice and others, including online alternatives, eating away at what was once a dominant position for Microsoft.

So, it is good to see you not falling for the same trap. You re-engineer your product to keep it's original raison-d'etre alive before someone else does it to you.

Yah I understand..... I suppose my first clue was how difficult it was getting to keep things updated and tested. With all them colors in both 32/64 bit versions lets just say we lost some of the drive to keep it going. One reason there will be an optional program that (based on user preferences) can be set to run once a day/week/month/year and install the latest source version of Asterisk automagically. While I personally don't agree with this paradigm it does keep a certain percentage of the group happy. This of course will always be an "EXPERIMENTAL" program as we can't predict what the purveyor of the source code may do in the future and we have enough trouble keeping our own stuff working flawlessly 8^).

Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.