GO HERE Can this be done?

Nicholas Marion

Reaction score
I've been searching high and low for a viable option but haven't been successful.

As an intern, I've been tasked with looking for an option to offer clients the possibility to call in and be routed through an IVR in order to get information from a database. I've been able to successfully do it through Twilio and have it sent to a url of my choice. We're looking for a cheaper option or one that we can expand upon.

Despite me having trouble getting centOS and Incredible PBX successfully installed onto a virtual system while at work, I was wondering if this is possible using Asterisk and PBX or if I'm not going in the right direction. The goal:

Client calls number, possibly Google Voice or alternative.
Gets linked to server
Server runs code, *I used python for Twilio app*
IVR gathers information from client such as phone number and prompts what they're looking for.
Based on selection, sends request to Database and supplies client with response.

Future functionality would then support routing to different extensions via an IVR, but on a different number.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on what I'm looking for, but will be willing to answer any questions if you have any to get me in the right direction.

Is this possible with Asterisk and Incredible PBX?

SkykingOH

Guru
Reaction score
Yes.....you can come intern with us. My last intern couldn't even make a good cup of coffee.

Nicholas Marion

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your last intern. :p

That's great to hear it is possible. I've finally gotten centOS and IncrediblePBX installed. However I can't seem to access the GUI PBX via the IP. I did check the status and it says it is running. I was able to Putty into and verify that functionality. Any suggestions on why I can't access the PBX side?

Also once I get passed that, I'll be configuring the Google Voice. What would be my next step into moving towards getting the calls routed to the app, or is that directly inside Asterick?

synack

Guru
Reaction score
That quite a large topic. I would suggest finding a book called "asterisk - the definitive guide" by O'Reilly books. I have the 4th edition. There's a chapter on Integrating Relational Databases. That should get you started with the base knowledge required. You should also be fairly proficient with postgresql or mysql databases. That book will also help with creating your dialplan logic as well, once you get there.

Reaction score
For what you want to do, you might find that a plain asterisk system is easier to configure than a system with FreePBX (like IncrediblePBX). FreePBX takes over asterisk's config files in order to make it possible to configure from the GUI. The down side is that it becomes much harder to do things outside the GUI.

As synack said, grab the asterisk book (it is a free download). Install asterisk on the linux distribution of your choice. The book will walk you through the config files that you'll need to implement.

The Google voice part might be difficult without FreePBX, but I'd imagine there is docs out there somewhere.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
One of the hidden beauties of Asterisk-GUI is that it directly manipulates Asterisk config files so you can quickly see how the Asterisk developers would have written the dialplan code. There's no MySQL hocus-pocus middleware to make it almost impossible to figure out how keystrokes in the FreePBX GUI translate into legitimate Asterisk dialplan code. BOTH GUIs are actually code generators.

Nicholas Marion

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay I was away for the weekend. I'm having trouble with step 5 on this tutorial: http://nerdvittles.com/?tag=google-voice, I've been unable to access the IP address and it says ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. I see Apache and IPTables down, is this related?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.