TUTORIAL Free Android App Daily

bobkoure

Reaction score
Yep.
If you're considering one, look at some of the comments. If there's mention of, in particular, inappropriate permissions, I'd suggest you give it a pass.
If your phone is rooted, install AFWall (essentially a GUI for iptables/netfilter) and forbid those "iffy" apps any kind of access to the outside world.
This not being an Android forum, I'll stop there.

mbellot

Reaction score
If your phone is rooted, install AFWall (essentially a GUI for iptables/netfilter) and forbid those "iffy" apps any kind of access to the outside world.

I use AFWall+ and generally deny all apps that don't specifically require network access as part of their core functionality.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I've been using the capability built-into Android 4.4.4 to do that. I have a phone that is not rooted and with a bootloader that is very hard to unlock (Moto X), but I find the built-in functionality works like a charm.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
and if amazon goes offline, non of the apps work as they cant confirm / phone home that you have the app store installed.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
When it comes to Android, Amazon is definitely a taker that never gives back... except out of someone else's pocket. :devil2:

bobkoure

Reaction score
and if amazon goes offline, non of the apps work as they cant confirm / phone home that you have the app store installed.

Some of 'em work with the Amazon App Store installed, but no connectivity - and some don't.

very hard to unlock (Moto X)
A major reason (and SD card support) I got a Note instead. I'm running 4.4.4 as well (SlimKat, which is built on CM / AOSP). Are you talking about Privacy Guard? (Wasn't sure that was part of stock 4.4.4). That keeps apps from accessing your data (which Android does a pretty decent job of anyway - it's like keeping one Linux user from reading another user's docs). Iptables/netfilter keeps an app from contacting the outside world.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
A major reason (and SD card support) I got a Note instead. I'm running 4.4.4 as well (SlimKat, which is built on CM / AOSP). Are you talking about Privacy Guard? (Wasn't sure that was part of stock 4.4.4). That keeps apps from accessing your data (which Android does a pretty decent job of anyway - it's like keeping one Linux user from reading another user's docs). Iptables/netfilter keeps an app from contacting the outside world.

I got such a deal on the phone that I couldn't pass it up. And even though I have rooted every other phone I have owned, and installed ROMs on many, this phone is serving its intended purpose pretty well.

I'm just describing the capability at Settings>Data usage>Mobile>[app of choice]. There you can "restrict background data" which disables background data on mobile networks. No app can use mobile data unless I turn LTE on and intentionally bring that app to the foreground. Does what I wanted.

So, to be clear, I am not talking about "keeping apps from accessing your data," I'm talking about "keeping apps from using data." :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.