ALERT Beware the Ides of March

steve54301

Guru
Reaction score
Trying to get back on the topic again:

I hadn't seen anyone here mention that Google is trying to become a wireless carrier:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/23/technology/mobile/google-wireless/

This is actually something I believe, unlike a lot of the other speculations. And the reason I believe it is now when you lookup the carrier for your google voice number, it doesn't come back listing bandwidth.com as the carrier.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Only if you run the dryer 24x7

Funny. Actually though, I thought it was the 240v connection that joined the two phases. Never worked for me, ever. Standing on my head with tinfoil didn't do it either. Kinda reminded me of the old rabbit ears days... Nice picture 'til you actually wanted to watch something.

kenn10

Reaction score
Funny. Actually though, I thought it was the 240v connection that joined the two phases. Never worked for me, ever. Standing on my head with tinfoil didn't do it either. Kinda reminded me of the old rabbit ears days... Nice picture 'til you actually wanted to watch something.

But alas, not an issue with Z-Wave since it is radio waves. :)

Reaction score

There are phase couplers that are a shim that you plug into the dryer outlet, then plug the dryer into. Most people are leery of opening up their breaker boxes to install a coupler with pig-tails, and the shim versions are much cheaper than an electrician.

Sorry, no more on X10. Back to soothsaying.

dskonline

Reaction score
Google Voice and Google Chat are again in the news.

Start with this post by Google.

Continue reading on DSL Reports here and here until you fall asleep.

So what happened to the original topic? is it done or not? guess I'm asking since it's up to the gurus if they think it's dead and no longer going to be supported. If it's not feasible guess I need to move on and port all my numbers to my sip provider or can someone point me in the direction where I can learn how to add more than one google voice account to the Raspberry pi 2. / Asterisk 11.16.0 / Ast-GUI 2.0-r5220.

Any suggestions on directions to the information would be greatly appreciated

billsimon

Reaction score

No one ever really seems to know what's next with Google Voice. As far as support goes, the current "no longer supported" seems no different than the past "not supported." That is, Google never supported activities like ours, connecting VoIP equipment to Google Voice.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score

Just use what's available that supports GV until it isn't available/doesn't work any more. Never build a business case on GV or use it for mission-critical applications; it's not worth the potential grief to save less than a penny a minute. But definitely =do= take advantage of GV for so long as it suits your needs, until it doesn't do that any more.

I've been using GV daily since August of '09, through various PIAF iterations and methodologies (starting with the old "parking lot + callback" mechanism that still works to this day). It essentially became my primary home DID in 2010. After GV outbound started getting flakey under PIAF I bought a cheap Obi100. I use the Obi for outbound GV calling, and inbound is handled by forwarding to an underlying VoIP DID and my cellphone. That has worked like a champ for years. But, I've =always= had many alternatives available that could drop-in at a moment's notice when Google decides to walk away from the project. At that point I'd use the parts of GV/Hangouts that then still work (the callback method is fine when working at a computer, and hangouts works extremely well on my cellphone) transitionally and port the GV DID "elsewhere." But, despite the repeated "falling sky" allegations I haven't had the need to do that yet...

lrosenman

Guru
Reaction score
I think if folks have an Obi, GoogleVoice will be available for a long time (there have been statements on the Obi forums that a bunch of the google folks like and use Obi Boxes).

With an Obi and it's "Officially Supported" OAuth 2.0, I think it'll be ok.

I have my 2 Google Voice numbers and a Vitelity trunk on the Obi, and using PIAF for CNAM look up, works great (see my question in the help forum for one question I have).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.