FYI New Area Code 854 for SC Coast

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
“Beginning in March (3/14/15), a "permissive" 10 digit dialing period begins. During this time, subscribers may dial local calls within the overlay area with either seven digits or all 10, and the calls will go through, according to a letter from the North American Numbering Plan Administration, the agency which assigns and manages area codes.

But beginning on Sept. 19, callers must dial with all 10 digits, the area code and telephone number, or else their calls will not go through.

The earliest date at which a new 854 telephone number can be issued will be Oct. 19, the agency said.

The current 843 area code zone generally includes the coastal region of South Carolina, including Charleston, Hilton Head Island, Myrtle Beach and Florence.”

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
This should be fun. When Atlanta moved to an overlay area code, it was an absolute mess. Can only imagine what lies ahead for South Carolina. I'm sure a lot of these folks have never dialed a 10-digit number in their life.

Flintstones_0.jpg

kenn10

Reaction score
You get used to it. :cool: Our cell phones have pretty much always been 10-digits so it was a natural progression to all phones requiring the 10-digit dialing. Now it seems quaint when I go someplace with 7-digit dialing.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
We've been on 10-digit dialing here in the DFW Metroplex for about twenty years now. The most difficult part is when you've grown accustomed to dialing a 10-digit number in the same area code for local calls and then have a number that appears to be in the local calling area, but isn't. It is actually considered long-distance, thus requiring the 1+ to make the call go through. Where I work, this happens with calls to Weatherford, Texas from Fort Worth, Texas all the time because they're both in the 817 area code. However, calls to Weatherford are considered long-distance.

Of course, I get a report that our fax/telephone/SkyNet/doohickey "ain't workin' no more" because someone doesn't have enough time/patience to listen to the recording of the nice lady telling them "you must dial a 1 or a 0 when calling this number".

The look of awe on their face when I'm able to make the call go through is amazing/disgusting with the inevitable question of "what did you do to make it work?".

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Where I work, this happens with calls to Weatherford, Texas from Fort Worth, Texas all the time because they're both in the 817 area code. However, calls to Weatherford are considered long-distance.

I ran into that when calling certain Charleston numbers from Pawleys back in the Verizon POTS days. Have had to get used to that since I've been in Atlanta with all of its area codes.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
We made the transition in the Greater Toronto Area when I was a teenager I think (OMG that was over 20 years ago). I still get asked, on occasion, if I can program the PBX to auto dial the 416 or 905 . . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.