SOLVED NOOB needs help: incrediblepbx.local issue and I need a Static IP on my Pi

synack

Guru
Reaction score
oh, i didnt see that you have resolvconf installed
add this to the end of your eth0 config: (right after your gateway)
dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

oxyfiremedia

Reaction score
oh, i didnt see that you have resolvconf installed
add this to the end of your eth0 config: (right after your gateway)

Code:
  GNU nano 2.2.6                            File: /etc/network/interfaces                                                      Modified 

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.

auto lo
auto eth0

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.1.12.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 10.1.12.0
broadcast 10.1.12.255
gateway 10.1.12.254

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa.conf

#up iptables-restore /etc/network/iptables

Then I

amportal stop

and reboot -n

Lets see what happens

oxyfiremedia

Reaction score
So far so good...

Let me configure my port forward on the router too and the SIP phones.

Jay

oxyfiremedia

Reaction score
Thank you Thank you thank you

SO just to confirm the solve in this thread as:::

edit /etc/network/interfaces and make it look something like this

Code:
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.1.12.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 10.1.12.0
broadcast 10.1.12.255
gateway 10.1.12.254

But obviously changing the details to your internal network

SYNACK, I OWE YOU A HUG AND A BEER!!!!

THANKS DUDE

Reaction score
Wanted to chime in here... Did you say your router will not allow you to dish out a static IP? Wouldn't that allow you to simplify things? If your router cannot do that, you should junk that thing! Otherwise, you might be inviting another DHCP conflict (two devices trying for the same IP). Just assign the IP router-side and reboot the device. Bam! It should have the IP you want.

Some of the best networking advice I ever received was to learn how to apply static IPs router-side. You would be surprised how quirky full DHCP can be... Not a problem so much for devices that go on and off your network (like iPads and laptops), but can be weird for your devices which remain connected 24/7.

For example, I made a table of my devices and associated MAC addresses so that I can easily find the devices on my network and apply network policies router-side. A good idea would be to carve out 40-50 private IPs (ex: 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.99) for your DHCP range for mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc...). I then leave the upper range IPs (192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.250) for my SIP devices and associated experiments, and the lower range (192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.49) for my servers, TV tuners, and desktops.

There's really no "right" way to do this... just find a scheme that makes sense to you and be consistent. It will make your life a whole lot easier in the future. Also, spend some money on a router with open-source software (OpenWRT, DD-WRT, tomato) or a real router than can run pfSense.

oxyfiremedia

Reaction score
I'm running static IPs in here anyway - so nothing apart from wifi devices will be using DHCP which is in a range dedicated for DHCP...

It's a new router, and I should be able to set IP based on mac address of device... but I couldn't get it working. Probably because I haven't done it before.

I find it easier and safer to use static IPs set per device anyway.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
It's a new router, and I should be able to set IP based on mac address of device... but I couldn't get it working. Probably because I haven't done it before.

dhcpcd uses DUID now instead of mac address as the unique id by default. If you want to specify by mac address, you need to configure it back.
I don't quite remember the exact procedure, but a quick google should lead you in the right direction. I suspect it's editing a file in /etc/conf.d

oxyfiremedia

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I'll look in to this... Great to know how it all works

synack

Guru
Reaction score
on my system, it's /etc/dhcpcd.conf and change duid to clientid
reboot and then you can convert your dynamic address to reserved on your firewall.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
I'm not saying go dynamic, just that the DUID is probably what's messing you up if you did want to go that route.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.