QUESTION Looking For Some Input on New PIAF Install

sh0tsmash

Reaction score
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am currently running PIAF on a Beaglebone Black (Asterisk 11.15.0 FreePBX v12.0.40) and so far am very happy with it. It runs smoothly on for home use (1 FXO/FXS, 1 SIP, 3 GV, ~6 extensions), and am very happy with it, besides a hiccup here or there (have random crashes, system unresponsive and needs a power plug pull to get it back up, but that's a different story. I have tried looking at the logs but not too sure where to start).

I am looking to expand from the Beaglonebone Black to a "beefier" system that can do a few more things. I am looking to do:

1) Run PIAF (main purpose)
2) Run Owncloud server (will not have port 80 expose, will map >1024) (will use MySQL database)
3) Host Kodi MySQL database
4) Run OpenVPN Server
5) SAMBA file sharing for "scratch space" for my home network (i.e share files when a computer is offline, dump it in the scratch space)

Hardware wise, I am looking to go as energy efficient as possible, as this will run 24/7. I am probably looking at Intel Celeron, 4GB Ram, SSD, etc. Not looking to break the bank either.

The point of this threat is too see if this is really feasible. Besides the Owncloud server & the OpenVPN server, I plan on having no internet port exposure. I have one remote SIP client, which will use OpenVPN to connect. I am also unsure if I should go with Ubuntu vs Centos vs something else, as well as what flavor to run. The Beaglebone Black only has 1 main configuration that it can use.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

You'll find that most of the gurus here will dissuade you from running anything but PBX features on a PIAF system, myself included. It's for good reason. I can absolutely understand saving energy, space, and heat, but those other uses aren't what PIAF is made for. I'd go a little bit stronger on the hardware that you were spec'ing and put ESXi or Proxmox on the bare metal with PIAF and the other goodies you list as standalone VMs.

Ignoring my comment above, if you're dead set on having everything on one box here are my specific Responses to each:
1) Fine, of course.
2) If you configure apache correctly, you may be able to get away with it. Shouldn't be too resource heavy except for HDD space.
3) Not familiar with Kodi, looks like it's similar to MythTV. If it's just the DB, there are worse things you could do. Myth has its own backend service that each client connects to for streaming and such which can get quite processor intensive.
4) Sure. I'd prefer to have it on a standalone router (like pfSense) myself, but to each his own.
5) Not as bad as the others, but I'd still rather not because of the security implications. The SAMBA package is disabled in PIAF for a reason.

Reaction score
I agree with the previous poster. But, I understand your motivations.

Like you, I had a dream... a beefy 4 or 6 core server, oodles of ECC RAM, at least six 3TB hard drives, running the following: pfSense, OpenVPN, FreeNAS, OwnCloud, FreePBX, and a copy of Win7 or Win8 running BlueIris for security cameras. Wouldn't it be great to run all of that on 60-80 watts? Magic, right?

Not so fast... Such a configuration means you must virtualize. It also means you need seriously expensive and high-grade hardware (Xeons, ECC RAM, Intel Server NICs, IBM RAID cards, etc...). Not cheap. You need to either "go big or go home." If not, then people (forums and technical support) will always point to your crappy hardware as the problem.

Such complexity also means you become very limited in the help you can get for any problems that arise. Few if any hobbyist have such exotic rigs. And, cost of hardware aside, you also would be looking at ESXi or some other complicated virtualization software, which, if free, has zero support. And, if any problems would arise, they would point to your low-grade hardware as being "uncertifiable."
  • That said, you can use a pretty low-powered box for your router/VPN combo (pfSense FTW, baby!). You can also install "Bacula" to make backups of your machines (like Apple's TimeMachine).
  • Next, get a cheap Thinkserver (dual-core is fine), and load it up with at least 8GB of ECC RAM, and install FreeNAS (you can share via SAMBA). Then, you can install OwnCloud in a FreeBSD jail, with access to all of your media.
  • For your PBX, use DigitalCloud (it's $5 a month).

sh0tsmash

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

You'll find that most of the gurus here will dissuade you from running anything but PBX features on a PIAF system, myself included. It's for good reason. I can absolutely understand saving energy, space, and heat, but those other uses aren't what PIAF is made for. I'd go a little bit stronger on the hardware that you were spec'ing and put ESXi or Proxmox on the bare metal with PIAF and the other goodies you list as standalone VMs.

Ignoring my comment above, if you're dead set on having everything on one box here are my specific Responses to each:
1) Fine, of course.
2) If you configure apache correctly, you may be able to get away with it. Shouldn't be too resource heavy except for HDD space.
3) Not familiar with Kodi, looks like it's similar to MythTV. If it's just the DB, there are worse things you could do. Myth has its own backend service that each client connects to for streaming and such which can get quite processor intensive.
4) Sure. I'd prefer to have it on a standalone router (like pfSense) myself, but to each his own.
5) Not as bad as the others, but I'd still rather not because of the security implications. The SAMBA package is disabled in PIAF for a reason.

I agree with the previous poster. But, I understand your motivations.

Like you, I had a dream... a beefy 4 or 6 core server, oodles of ECC RAM, at least six 3TB hard drives, running the following: pfSense, OpenVPN, FreeNAS, OwnCloud, FreePBX, and a copy of Win7 or Win8 running BlueIris for security cameras. Wouldn't it be great to run all of that on 60-80 watts? Magic, right?

Not so fast... Such a configuration means you must virtualize. It also means you need seriously expensive and high-grade hardware (Xeons, ECC RAM, Intel Server NICs, IBM RAID cards, etc...). Not cheap. You need to either "go big or go home." If not, then people (forums and technical support) will always point to your crappy hardware as the problem.

Such complexity also means you become very limited in the help you can get for any problems that arise. Few if any hobbyist have such exotic rigs. And, cost of hardware aside, you also would be looking at ESXi or some other complicated virtualization software, which, if free, has zero support. And, if any problems would arise, they would point to your low-grade hardware as being "uncertifiable."
  • That said, you can use a pretty low-powered box for your router/VPN combo (pfSense FTW, baby!). You can also install "Bacula" to make backups of your machines (like Apple's TimeMachine).
  • Next, get a cheap Thinkserver (dual-core is fine), and load it up with at least 8GB of ECC RAM, and install FreeNAS (you can share via SAMBA). Then, you can install OwnCloud in a FreeBSD jail, with access to all of your media.
  • For your PBX, use DigitalCloud (it's $5 a month).
Thank you for your input. Deep down, I know that I should not combine all of them into one (as I was typing the post, I said to myself, Owncloud + PIAF do not mix). Right now I have a few separate devices:

- Beaglonebone Black for PIAF
- My "home server" with all my media ( 8 core, 24GB RAM, 12TB Total Space, etc. Runs unRAID). Runs a bunch of dockers, including owncloud, kodi and mysql. Every so often I'll spin up Xen and run a virtual server here or there.
- WRT300N (Linksys router) running DDWRT, running openvpn
- I had a pogoplug for mysql, owncloud, music server, samba "scratch space". The POS died on me, thank god had my data backed up.

I guess i am just trying to consolidate devices. I do not run my home server 24/7, its just too beefy. Draws ~150W at idle. Perhaps beef up my hardware, and simply run PIAF virtually, well now that I saw it, everything virtually. Makes it easier to backup the PIAF image too :). My linux virtual skills are limited, but I have had experience with Xen in the past.

My WRT300N bogs down when I have >2 devices connected to it via OpenVPN. I have had the router for a long time, and it's rock solid. Just limited on the RAM I guess.

I prefer to have my PIAF on my own hardware, it feels weird having my extensions call each other through a 3rd party. But that's just a nit-picky thing I have.

Thank you both for your input. You have given me a lot to think about. I look forward to [trying] to be more active here on the forums. :)

Reaction score
Wow, you got some seriously nice hardware there! As an aside, my favorite computer of all time is my FreeNAS box! Runs off a 16GB USB drive, and it keeps all my media nice and error-free on several 3TB drives and runs Plex to boot!

The other thing to consider is that even if your server consumes 150 watts 24/7, that's only 112 kWh a month. The average cost per kWh is $0.16, so about $17.92 a month in electricity. But, the bigger consideration is legal. The climate in this country with regard to copyright is unbelievably strict and downright scary! There's no cloud provider I would trust with all of my data. It's really quite silly that they've forced us hoard our data at home just so that we can enjoy it whenever we want on whatever device we want!

Well, free software is about freedom. Down with The Man!

Reaction score
Hehe, yup! Thanks for catching that!

But, seriously, DigitalOcean is so clean and sophisticated! It's a joy to use. With all the cloud competition (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Rackspace...) prices have tumbled to the point where it may not be economically viable for most people to host their own server (except those who backup their own media like DVDs and Blurays). As a Comcast captive "customer" it should be easier to host your own stuff.... Nope! Comcast blocks so many ports on residential connections and charges such ridiculous fees for a "business" connection with a static IP that it more than doubles your cost (for the same bandwidth, like 30/5). That is one reason why I am so glad the FCC voted to enact Network Neutrality.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
I run mostly what you want, with the exception of freepbx/piaf at home.
I run Kodi, mythtv (to manage my hdhomeruns), plex, sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard, samba, deluge, owncloud, pptp, nxserver(freenx) over ssh for remote desktop, minecraft (for the kiddies) and my own asterisk (no gui)
All on a gentoo box with 8GB of ram and a quad core i7 proc and haven't had an issue yet.
While gentoo is not centos or debian, it should give you an idea that what you do want will easily fit into lower end hardware. The built in intel i7 video is sufficient for video decoding except for the new h.265. I run HDMI with 1080p resolution.

When my server sits mostly idle, it doesn't draw a whole lot of power. (make sure your processor governor is set to powersave and you have the other powersave software installed and configured.)
Just make sure you get an efficient (at minimum 80 plus certified) powersupply that is well matched to your power requirements (like a 1000watt powersupply is probably overkill unless you are targeting for a gaming machine)

As for *should* well, I would leave that up to the PIAF gods. You could virtualize and seperate your functions, but that does come with a bit of overhead and complexity if you wish to tie it all together.
Another thing you could consider is an android tv box, Kodi is available on android, and works ok. (ok being perfectly watchable, but not as smooth as my main system but that will vary by android box.)
I have 2 geniatech dual core boxes, but there are some new quad core ones coming out with h.265 and 4k HD support.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Oops, my processor is actually an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 quad core.

I guess my point was that you could also consider NOT having kodi on your media server. leave the heavy kodi front end to a cheaper and low power consuming box. This will give you more power saving options for your media centre hardware.

sh0tsmash

Reaction score
I probably should have specified, the Kodi install is only a mysql db, not the full blown program. Kodi allows you to centralize your database, (pause in one room, resume in another).

I had a thought today, build another computer with unraid (runs a slimed down version of Slackware) and have PIAF in a Xen/KVM machine, and split everything else in another virtual machine or Dockers. I can use the free version with 1 ssd and 1 HD.

I only say unraid because I am familiar with it, and has a nice GUI for configuration (up till fairly recently, learned docker and Xen the real way first!). I could also do it in either Ubuntu or Mint, but would require a bit more knowledge first.

I'll build a virtual unraid first and then play with it. Virtualizing a virtual machine probably will have hardware hits, but st least it can give me a sample of what can and cannot work.

Thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegodoyr
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.