TRY THIS Changing to Device & User Mode

Julian Frizza

Reaction score
I have some boxes connected each other with many many groups, many extensions and many routes configured.
All is working PERFECT

Ive been asked if there's a posibility to use the same extension in more than one device. (Example: IP Phone at desk and Sip Client software at cell phone when they are at office but not precisely at desk) I cant use FOLLOW ME cause we use it to phone cell phones when people is out of the office: When they leave office (if they want) they active FM and each time the extension recives a call, inmediatelly the box dials the cell phone number of the owner.

I know that I can change the behavior of the box to "Device & User Mode" to accomplish this. The question is: If I change the system behavior to "Device & User mode", what happens to the whole configuration (extensions, ringing groups, etc)?

thank you in advanced.:lurk5:

james

Guru
Reaction score
short answer is if you go to D&U mode then you will likely break a bunch of stuff. If you want to play with it then build a test system and do it there. Experimenting on the production system tends to make people (potentially the one that signs your paycheck) very unhappy

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
The question is: If I change the system behavior to "Device & User mode", what happens to the whole configuration (extensions, ringing groups, etc)?

I did this a few releases ago. Basically, all your extensions will become users and a device. Say for example, 4196 is currently an extension. When you save the new configuration, 4196 becomes a user, as well as a device. To add more devices to 4196, you'll be presented with a drop-down for Device Type? (Fixed) and Default User - 4196. In my case, it made it easier, I just added +1 to the end of each devices. So, when user (old extension) 4196 is called, the devices assigned to 41961, 41962 and 41963 all ring.

There are certainly a lot more naming techniques you could employ, but the system I'm running only as 15 devices.

As mentioned, you may want to try on a test system first. When I did this, I didn't have any issues, but that, like I said, was a few releases ago.

(Run a backup before you press the submit button) :cool:

sko001

Reaction score
I did this on a PIAF-Green and did not run into any issues either. It is a bit confusing having device and user with the same extension number at first, but got used to it. I follow a similar strategy to Trimline2 in the previous post.

EchoAlpha

Reaction score
hi all,
how do i add more devices. it seems without the endpoint manager installed, i cant add new phones via MAC address.
is there maybe another way?

sko001

Reaction score
If you go to the applications menu in FreePBX and select devices then you can add devices without the need for MAC. It generates a password that you have to enter on the device for it to register.

EchoAlpha

Reaction score
thats been done. so now i have to edit the phone through their webinterface?

sko001

Reaction score
My desk phones automatically connect to phone server and prompted for device username and password. On iOs I use Groundwire and edit username and password in the account settings. Assume editing the phone through webinterface will work.

EchoAlpha

Reaction score
on the SPA504 that i have, i'm not prompted. Im looking for a way to add the desk phone to the system but not by going into the Webinterface of the phone. i was hoping for something on the phone menu.

I use Zoiper on my android phone and that was simple like that.

What i'm going for is that when someone calls my extension, my android phone AND my desk phone at the same time.

sko001

Reaction score
As long as both devices are connected to the same user they should both ring. This is done by selecting the same default user at the bottom of the device configuration.

EchoAlpha

Reaction score
thanks for the help. i'm gonna keep looking for a way to add the devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbradford
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.