RECOMMENDATIONS Rack mount server

Max Power

Reaction score
I am not new to PBXiaF but I am new to deploying systems for customers.

I am looking for advice on what server to deploy. They will have a rack and cost isn't too much of a concern so I would like to go with a rack mount server. I would also like to run ESXi on the server to be able to take snapshots etc. Possibly run a small file server. I would like to run an SSD and probably 4GB-GB ram. Not fussy on the processor other than it needs to run ESXi. They will have about 10 extensions to start but their sales are doubling yearly and no signs of slowing down.

I typically buy used server equipment for my own use with new hard drives however this doesn't seem like the right thing to do for a customer.

Can anyone recommend a server that is a good value and would be a good fit?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I'm personally a fan of SuperMicro's 1U Atom boxes. The C2758 would make a pretty nice ESXi box.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
I second the Supermicro solution - Last box is did --

SUP SY 5018A-TN4 1RU Atom C2750
SUP AC MCP-220-00051-0N Retail
KNG 4G DDR3 1600 ECC SODIMM LV
SAM SSD 120G 2.5" 840 EVO

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I don't. I have a Dell server for that. But there is no reason it shouldn't work.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
These are hard to find in stock in Canada!

Supermicro works with only 2 of the major distributors here that I know about, and doesn't have a lot of stock in Canada. You can get pretty much anything you want - any VAR can special order it for you - but you will have to wait. NCIX is the best bet online for retail.

Brianmac

Reaction score
Very happy with Dell Poweredge 1950 III. specs(1U, 8gb ram, 2x E5430 Quad 2.66Ghz, 2x 80gb drives, Drac and raid). the nice thing is, Raid and the Drac is GREAT. You can actually watch the machine boot up remotely. These can be had for $150 shipped.

voip_user

Reaction score
I do have a question, I want to eventually build out a test box that I'm going to send to customers to get them interested in the idea of PiAF. With VMware we can restore the system rather quickly from a snapshot. If we just have it build on bare metal how long does a restore or rebuild take? Ideally I would like to have the system built on a Raid, but if the OS gets corrupted somehow, how quickly can you restore services?

Brianmac

Reaction score
voip_user, I'm a newbie in this, so take what I say with a grain of salt......
Your restore will be much faster with VM. My previous comment was about hardware. I always(even win\linux servers and such) purchase a second duplicate(hardware) server. The backup has the same version OS and same version PiaF. I update all modules(on both) once a week, and do an incrediblebackup, after any change or once a week - whichever comes first and copy the file on the backup server.
Now if the production server takes a hit, I can power off the production server, change IP of backup server, then incrediblerestore, and reboot. Should take under 30 minutes and all done remotely. I haven't done it yet, but will be testing this in the next week or so.

The whole VM thing is nice, but what if your server has a motherboard failure, then all the snapshots in the world won't help you....
With the DRAC on the servers, I can even mount a virtual ISO somewhere on the network and do a complete reinstall. DRAC has saved me countless times from having to jump in the car and be onsite. I'm new in PBXinaFlash world, but have been in the networking field for over 20 years. If you are remote, always think about worst case scenario(like hurricane Sandy, where I had dead fish in the server room.....)

again, just my two cents....

Thanks,
Brian

TwigsUSAN

Guru
Reaction score
I think either way you go will be about the same amount of time. Laying down an image on a physical back will probably take 30-60 mins. What I would probably do is install ESXi on the box and then create an image. You can then run the VM on the system and have a separate drive installed that has a copy of the VM. You could than import that VM whenever you need to, and have a second one already available to run if need be.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I second the Dell 1950 or 2950's ... I use them and they are great.

voip_user

Reaction score
The Dell 1950's and 2950's are large and loud. I actually use Dell 1950's for my CCIE collaboration lab and I can't even run it in my room due to the nose that it creates. I do agree they are good machines. Most of my customers will be sub 100 so I'm hoping that supermirco solution will be the best bet. I'm just looking for the best way to deploy everything with as low a cost as possible and the most reliability, customer sat, and ease of use.

Brianmac

Reaction score
On the Dell 1950's - these are rack servers and don't belong in an office/lab, IMHO..... you can get Dell poweredge 1900(standalone version of the 1950) and they are not rack mount and quiet. Again, for $150, your getting a great server, Raid, and most importantly, DRAC...... I know the other vendors have comparable remote access capabilities, but again, I have used DRAC on the dell and they really are great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.