PIONEERS Gemeinschaft 3 Development Returns

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
And speaking of lazy Americans, we have completed work on a very rough cut at translating the Gemeinschaft documentation into English with a lot of help from Google Translate. It's 350+ pages and still needs A LOT OF WORK. This is something that anyone that speaks English and knows how to use Microsoft Word can tackle. I'm done with it, but we'd welcome some refinement if anyone is so inclined. Here are the download links:

Gemeinschaft 3 Documentation (translated to English) License: GNU Free Documentation License

Gemeinschaft 3 Documentation in Microsoft Word .docx format

Gemeinschaft 3 Documentation in PDF format

Reaction score
arztde: No problem at all. We're all about experimentation with new things, and this is a New Year and new GUI to all of us. So... it will take a little while to get our arms around it to see if it will meet our needs or not. I'm very impressed, however.

Interestingly, Gemeinschaft's design bears some striking similarities to FreePBX and the older Asterisk Management Portal. All of these GUIs make extensive use of MySQL to store data and settings. I'm not sure I don't like Mark Spencer's Asterisk-GUI model better even though it may not be quite as flexible from a GUI standpoint. It does 99% of its magic simply by manipulating config files in /etc/asterisk and with that comes enormous control over Asterisk itself.

I'm also one of those that never quite got used to the Windows Registry. There's a lot of voodoo in those hidden tables. :sorcerer:
I don't think MySQL is inherently bad but it certainly is inherently inaccessible. It needs a telephony oriented front end for troubleshooting, making test changes and cloning. The generic methods of accessing it stink. The Win Reg is also a mess. Tons of long, easy to mis-format text files are no treat either.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
arztde: Don't let any of this discussion offend you. We're just discussing how we got to where we are. Not provoked at all. As for encryption, it is a huge can of worms when you're dealing with a product that is distributed and used worldwide. There are some folks that we really don't want to provide with the technology for all sorts of reasons including U.S. export laws. So... we may do a how-to down the road, but it's unlikely it will ever be incorporated directly without lots of legal analysis. I'd prefer to spend my time elsewhere.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Just as a side question I feel I should recognize what program created those flowcharts....... wasn't visio.... Care to share?

In my day job I manage a fairly large healthcare institution and was fascinated to see the care2x site... thanks!

Tom

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
ok, it has been running for 2 days so far:

Code:
Date
Sat, 03 Jan 2015 13:08:22 -0500
Kernel & Architecture
3.10-22.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64  #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 6 06:36:02 UTC 2013  x86_64  GNU/Linux
Uptime
2015-01-02 08:27:24,  1 days 4:40:57
Load average
0.08 (1 min)  0.06 (5 min)  0.08 (15 min)
Memory info
RAM :  519 MB, 98 % used
Swap: 1390 MB,  1 % used

status shows 480mb free, but the system info shows 98% used? bug?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
ok, it has been running for 2 days so far:

status shows 480mb free, but the system info shows 98% used? bug?

Yep, it's a bug. Status shows memory used instead of memory remaining. Fixed in download.

To update your server without reinstall: Search for free in /usr/local/sbin/status and change cut -f 3 -d " " to cut -f 4 -d " "

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at the Gemeinschaft install script:

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/amooma/GS3/3.2/install.sh

Is there anything other than http://deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free < that is stopping me from running the script on a raspberry pi or similar arm device?actually I dont think that is stopping me from installing on a pi:
Code:
For wheezy (stable) amd64, armel, armhf, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc and sparc packages

first issue:

Code:
You do not appear to have the sources for the 3.18.4+ kernel installed.

apt-get build-essential tries again

Code:
https://github.com/notro/rpi-source/wiki

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
ok,

how to get moving on a raspberry pi, grab the most recent version of raspbian, grab rpi-source, change gcc to 4.8, run rpi-source, run gemeinschaft install script, come back in 12 hours when dahdi finishes compiling...

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
Code:
Date
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:46:21 +0000
Kernel & Architecture
3.12.35+  #730 PREEMPT Fri Dec 19 18:31:24 GMT 2014  armv6l  GNU/Linux
Uptime
2015-01-29 21:42:31,  0 days 0:03:49
Load average
0.23 (1 min)  0.43 (5 min)  0.21 (15 min)
Memory info
RAM :  459 MB, 50 % used
Swap:  105 MB,  0 % used
Disk free
Filesystem    Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs        rootfs    7.7G  4.3G  3.1G  59% /
/dev/root      ext4      7.7G  4.3G  3.1G  59% /
devtmpfs      devtmpfs  226M    0  226M  0% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0p1 vfat      59M  11M  49M  18% /boot
/dev/root      ext4      7.7G  4.3G  3.1G  59% /var/spool/hylafax/etc
Network devices
Inter-|  Receive                                                |  Transmit
face |bytes    packets errs drop fifo frame compressed multicast|bytes    packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
    lo:  210936    1654    0    0    0    0          0        0  210936    1654    0    0    0    0      0          0
  eth0:  35965    259    0    0    0    0          0        0    80749    277    0    0    0    0      0          0
Asterisk version
Asterisk 11.15.1 built by root @ raspberrypi on a armv6l running Linux on 2015-01-29 18:39:34 UTC

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
Hi artzde,

I followed Ward's instructions in the 2nd post,

You are lucky to have a BBB, your compile time should be half of mine at least.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
other things that work, iptables, status, flite tts

status shows lan eth0 as down, which is false.

I watched a brand new ootb yealink t22 try to auto provision against my gemeinschaft pi, it happily sent it's mac address etc for auto provisioning, but gemeinschaft does not support yealink at present...

need to find the provisioning tool and see what I need to add to make it work

synack

Guru
Reaction score
I am so sorry that i bought a beagle bone black
I'm currently running the install script on a BBB right now. Will let you know how it goes.
Basic steps so far have been:
1) flash current debian wheezy to eMMC.
2) update distro and kernel to 3.18.5
3) download and setup kernel source
4) run the above install script.

I'll come back with a more detailed setup once this is done and I'll do it again recording the steps.
It's been kinda easy.. so I'm not sure why you hate your BBB so much?

You are lucky to have a BBB, your compile time should be half of mine at least.
I'll also time it next go round and compare :)

synack

Guru
Reaction score
Yes, and No. There are a few bugs in the install script, like not being able to resume and missing some dependency installs like php5... So I've had to wipe and restart a couple times. I'm basically near the end of the script but it takes about 4.5 hours to run through. I think one more time should do it, hopefully.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
It works. I haven't yet tested phones/trunks etc yet. I see asterisk up and port 5060 and 4569 working so I assume with correct GS3 config it *should* work.
It should be simple to upgrade to asterisk 11 following Ward's instructions above.
The GS3 install script isn't the best, but it runs too long for me to invest the time into improving it.
This is what worked for me on the BeagleBone Black: (assumes you know basic BBB and linux setup)
The webinterface ends up at http://ipaddress:8080/gemeinschaft/ instead if what the script outputs. You can change that however in the apache config files.

a) Flash with either of the newest Debian Images
Standalone microsd
https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/te...bian-7.8-lxde-4gb-armhf-2015-01-27-4gb.img.xz
eMMC flasher
https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/te...bian-7.8-lxde-4gb-armhf-2015-01-27-4gb.img.xz

b) Boot from image and set root and debian passwords
Login as root, no password.
Code:
    passwd root
    passwd debian

c) Resize the partition to use all of your MicroSD and reboot
Code:
    cd /opt/scripts/tools
    sudo ./grow_partition.sh
    sudo reboot

d) Install latest Kernel and supporting files
Code:
    cd /opt/scripts/tools
    sudo git pull
    sudo ./update_kernel.sh --kernel v3.18.5-bone1
    sudo reboot

e) Run system update and install some missing dependancies
Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get -y install libncurses5-dev php5
f) Install matching kernel source and set it up with valid config.
Code:
    cd /usr/src
    sudo wget -qO- https://github.com/RobertCNelson/ti-linux-kernel/archive/v3.18.5.tar.gz | tar -zxf-
    sudo ln -s ti-linux-kernel-3.18.5 linux
    sudo gunzip -c /proc/config.gz > linux/.config
    cd /usr/src/linux
    sudo make oldconfig && make menuconfig
    x to exit
g) Disable built-in web server for bone script and cloud9 IDE
Code:
    sudo systemctl disable cloud9.service
    sudo systemctl disable cloud9.socket
    sudo systemctl disable bonescript.service
    sudo systemctl disable bonescript.socket
    sudo systemctl disable bonescript-autorun.service
    sudo systemctl disable avahi-daemon.service
    sudo systemctl disable cloud9.socket
    sudo rm /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default
    sudo reboot
h) Run GS3 install script, you will be prompted twice during the config to select your desired keymap and postfix config. I chose defaults for both.
Code:
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/amooma/GS3/3.2/install.sh
    chmod +x install.sh
    sudo ./install.sh
This entire process from flash to finish will take about 5-6hours on class 10 MicroSD with step h) taking the lions share.

Have fun

synack

Guru
Reaction score
bonescript and cloud9 come on some of the debian and anstrom releases. it's the "192.168.7.2" you are talking about.
I disable it, as GS3 and it will conflict for port 80. You can keep it if you like and do it another way. Its the way I chose to keep it simple.
if you don't have them installed, then you don't need to remove/disable them.

Yes, sorry, my instructions are based upon using either BBB Rev C 4GB eMMC *or* using an external MicroSD card in the builtin slot. If you only have the 2GB eMMC, you probably don't want to do this as you will have little to no drive space left. Debian + LXDE + GS3 + Kernel > 2GB

Can't help you with the password, you will probably need to reflash.
note: you don't NEED lxde, just the image I chose to work from has it ( and a majority of the pre-reqs) installed.
I prefer to use ssh instead of rdp. I also have a USB/TTL cable I plug right into the pins on the board. It's tremendously handy for debugging.
(just don't connect the red wire, or boom!)

synack

Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I will attempt to answer anyway.
To flash the image I suggested via windows:
a) download and extract the img file using 7zip or similar
b) flash the image to an sdcard (4GB or higher) using win32 disk imager or similar.
c) insert the MicroSD card into the BBB and power it up

Any somewhat recent image on your eMMC will boot off the MicroSD first if it's inserted. If not, you will need to press the user/boot button on power up.
USB is listed as a bootable device, however I have never tried it. There are many googleable articles talking about boot devices and boot order, so I probably don't need to go over those here.

If you really, really want to transfer your eMMC image to SD or USB, all I can suggest is to wipe the SD/USB first.
Insert them prior to boot. Discover what the device names are. fdisk -l usually works for me.
then use dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/device bs=4k
** caution this is a nasty way to do it, your destination file system will be inconsistent and a fsck will need to be run on it to repair it **

In all honesty, take the time to make a clean image on SD and install the GS3 that way. Once you boot from SD, your eMMC will be available as mmcblk1p{0,1,2} etc for mounting if you need to copy data off of it.

All my previous steps above, up to f) is just to prepare a current Debian on the BBB. Once you get there it's really just another Debian Linux. you can modify the language or whatever you want.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
As long as you shutdown cleanly, there is nothing stopping you from using the win32 disk imager from reading the SD/USB to a file that you can write to another sd/usb device. You might want to cleanup things like generating new ssh keys and such after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.