BUG Fresh install of PIAF-Green: asterisk won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
Your posting, to which I replied, said that you had done a different, and wrong thing.

If you did the upgrade, then you have a new kernel as well, and you need to reboot so that uname returns the right name.

ward mundy

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
I'll try that tag again:

wardmundy: this is the thread I was talking about.

The longer, modified install blog post you're pointing people to needs 2 more small changes:

1) replace 6.5 with 6 in the rpm URL, and
2) require a reboot after yum upgrade.

In point of fact, the reboot will probably solve the problem, since then the script will be able to pull in kernel-devel itself, being now on the right kernel version...

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
On a related topic, I've noticed that there is a *link* to a PIAF wiki on the blogroll, but it actually points to the forums. Is that an error?

Wikis tend to be much better places to put collected documentation like this than blogs or forums, since there's only one place to *put* any given piece of information, which makes it much easier for people to *find* as they progress... I'm very fond of them, having done major editory for the wikis for MythTV, k9-mail, Request Tracker, Freeswitch and now the kJams karaoke hosting package.

If Collected Knowledge is your game, wikis are generally your solution.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
On a related topic, I've noticed that there is a *link* to a PIAF wiki on the blogroll, but it actually points to the forums. Is that an error?

Wikis tend to be much better places to put collected documentation like this than blogs or forums, since there's only one place to *put* any given piece of information, which makes it much easier for people to *find* as they progress... I'm very fond of them, having done major editory for the wikis for MythTV, k9-mail, Request Tracker, Freeswitch and now the kJams karaoke hosting package.

If Collected Knowledge is your game, wikis are generally your solution.

Not meaning to jump in on a thread I haven't previously contributed to, but there was once a wiki. IIRC it didn't gather much attention and was shut down. wardmundy can confirm, but that's as I recall it.

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
Well isn't that a shame.

There's a stunning amount of information on PIAF/Inc around, but it's the next thing to impossible to find what you need, unless you already know where it is.

howardsl2

Guru
Reaction score
Baylink Yahdie Here's an alternative way to install kernel-devel:

First try the original command in Ward's article:
Code:
yum install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)

If the above says "No package available", install the package from CentOS Vault:
(Older CentOS 6.5 packages were moved there after the release of 6.6)
Code:
cat << "EOF" > /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Vault2.repo
[C6.5-base]
name=CentOS-6.5 - Base
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/6.5/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=0

[C6.5-updates]
name=CentOS-6.5 - Updates
baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/6.5/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6
enabled=0
EOF

yum --enablerepo=C6.5-base --enablerepo=C6.5-updates install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
The problem is that there isn't a kernel-devel for that kernel in 6.5/updates, for reasons I can't explain to you.

But you don't care, because the yum upgrade you are instructed to do is going to update you to a 6.6 kernel for which there is... you just have to reboot so that you are *running* it -- and then the main installer script will probably find it automatically anyway.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Well isn't that a shame.

There's a stunning amount of information on PIAF/Inc around, but it's the next thing to impossible to find what you need, unless you already know where it is.

The problem is that there isn't a kernel-devel for that kernel in 6.5/updates, for reasons I can't explain to you.

Hate to say it but keeping up with some of the half-baked RedHat and Ubuntu updates is a bit like laying track in front of the steaming locomotive. One would think that kernel updates would be the first item of business when a new release is being developed. Do we have the source? Do we have the kernel-dev component? Apparently not! Well, go ahead anyway. Really???

We try to cover the latest news on Nerd Vittles and the PIAF Forum. If the What's New link on the forum doesn't solve what you're looking for, by all means ASK.

In the meantime, thanks hwdsl2 for the fix.

p.s. There are worse things than being the Water Boy...

Forward-Track-Laying-Crew-1.jpg

Baylink

Guru
Reaction score
I'm happy to ask, but "just ask" doesn't really scale all that well.

I know that there's some tension between the free and commercial sides of the project, as there always is in such circumstances, but ... good, accessible, well-indexed documentation is a sine qua non, even if you're making money off support.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Baylink: We don't have a commercial side so there's no tension at all. As for well-indexed documentation, this bug was not self-inflicted. It was foist upon us by the creator of the RedHat distribution. They are a commercial enterprise so you may wish to check their well-indexed documentation and see how long it takes you to find the fix compared to visiting here. :angel:

If you prefer a commercial solution with 24/7 support, we can recommend several. Just let us know whether you prefer a Linux* or Windows** solution.

* Digium has supported our projects in numerous ways since Day 1.
** 3CX will become a platinum supporter of the PBX in a Flash, Incredible PBX, and Nerd Vittles projects on Jan. 1, 2015.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The tutorials for PIAF3 and Incredible PBX 11 for CentOS installation have been updated to support CentOS 6.6. For CentOS/Scientific Linux 6.5 platforms, here are the preliminary steps BEFORE you start the install:
Code:
setenforce 0
yum -y upgrade
yum -y install net-tools nano wget
ifconfig # figure out your server IP address here
sed -i 's|quiet|quiet net.ifnames=0 biosdevdame=0|' /etc/default/grub
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
# for CentOS/Scientific Linux 6.5/6.6 only, perform these additional steps:
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/update-kernel-devel
chmod +x update-kernel-devel
./update-kernel-devel
reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.