TRY THIS System Recordings - Copy to New System

volenec

Reaction score
My company is currently running PIAF 1.2.9/Asterisk 1.4.41/FreePBX 2.5.2.6. We are in the process of moving to a new server using PIAF 1.7.5.6/Ast. 1.8.4.1/FreePBX 2.8.1.4. We are doing the install on a new server instead of upgrading the old one. We have a bunch of System Recordings on the old server that I would like to transfer to the new server. Is this possible? What is the best way to do this?

gregc

Guru
Reaction score
The way I did it was to copy the custom folder onto my linux desktop then use freepbx to upload them one at a time into the new machine. You could copy directly, but then freepbx doesn't know they are there.

-Greg

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
All system recordings are located in /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom. Just do a "zip customsounds.zip *" from within that folder to copy them all into a zip file. Download that to your computer and as Greg said, upload each manually via FreePBX.

MyKroFt

Guru
Reaction score
ya, you MUST upload them, you cant just copy them into the directory as they get added to the database during upload.

Been there, done that :)

Myk

volenec

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I notice that when I used the upload feature in Webmin that the file shows up in the /custom directory, but it does not show up in the System Recordings module in FreePBX. I have to upload it again there for it to show up as a selectable recording. I am just going to bypass the webmin upload and upload them directly to the System Recordings module. But is it strange that uploading the files via webmin does not make them show up in FreePBX even though they are in the proper directory?

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
As said above, they get added to a mysql database when you upload them in FreePBX, uploading them via Webmin does not get them added to the database.

eCase

Reaction score
Ehh, not really so strange... though I totally understand your comment. It is certainly challenging for newcomers or the "fire&forget" users that rarely upgrade their system.
I suppose this is simply a side-effect from combining so many open source projects from around the world :)

Somewhat related question for anyone:
Is there a Step by Step Procedure online anywhere that instructs how to properly migrate an existing PIAF system to a new one, so that no data or config customization is lost for all time???
I ask this because, from the perspective of an eight-month user of Linux->Asterisk->FreePBX-PIAF->iNcrediblePBX, there seems to be a 'major' change at least once every three months or so, which requires a NEW install! If you are someone who is fascinated/obsessed with the latest tech {like myself} then this presents a tremendous chore to keep up with! :)
Of course, I suspect someone out there has an experienced, smooth 'n seamless method of accomplishing this, which is why I'm asking ;)
Thanks guys :)

MyKroFt

Guru
Reaction score
use the upload function in the system recordings module of freepbx, it will upload it to the correct place, correct permissions and even adds it to the database!

:)

Myk

jmullinix

Guru
Reaction score
You can also copy the /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom folder to the new machine and put it in place. Check the permissions. Then you go to FreePBX's system recordings tab and select Built-in Recordings. Select the files from the drop down list, name them and they are available to use.

volenec

Reaction score
Ok. I see now where it says upload via FreePBX. I saw the upload feature in Webmin and thought that was what I was supposed to use. Sorry for the redundancy. And I really appreciate all of the advice. Thanks!!

PBXEHR

Reaction score
If I have two systems connected via iax2, any way to record from an extension on the other system? I'm extension 5555 from the other phone system but it doesn't work when I dial *77.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
You should be able to. You probably need to adjust your outbound routes to allow routing *77 to the foreign box.

papachumba

Reaction score
just did this myself -
instead of reuploading to new server, which might cause the records to be inserted under a different ID in mysql database if you insert them in a different order (relevant when copying other aspects of the system which use system recodings in freepbx menus), what I did was to:
Copy asterisk.recordings table from old server to new server mysql (user root, pass whatever you set, i used navicat here, nice and easy).
Copy /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom from old server to new.
Done!

Method above ensures ids are retained, in my case I was migrating the server to a new box, i found copying mysql tables from one to the other ensured things stayed exactly as they are. Of course this comes with a risk that you will break something so do at your own risk!

So far I copied:

Voicemail Blasting (vmblast_groups and vmblast tables)
System Recordings (recordings table)
Extensions (used bulk extensions, easy)
Incoming Routes (bulk extensions)
Time Conditions (timeconditions, timegroups_details, timegroups_groups tables)

all working fine

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.