FYI voip.ms is down

wzheng

Reaction score
I was wondering what went wrong in my PiaF when I tried to dial international call as I heard all circuits are busy now. Then I found out that all my local numbers are not working neither. Go to the voip.ms website and I see this:

Internap Datacenter Hosting VoiP.ms Infrastructure in New York city is currently experiencing a major outage. We're working as fast as we can to redirect traffic and website to our mirrors in other geographical destinations
We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll be back ASAP

Just start to use VoIP.ms not long ago. I feel the quality is good and the price is reasonable. But this outage kind of worries me. It's night time so that isn't too bad. But it would be a nightmare if it's in daytime. How often does this happen? Or is there other better and more stable options? Thanks.

William

mbellot

Reaction score
It happens.

I have redundant trunks set up to multiple Voip.ms servers and use a trunkalert script (poke around) to let me know if my main incoming trunk goes down.

A minute or two reconfiguring the POP and calls are coming in again. Outbound doesn't stop since the redundant trunks fail over sequentially.

Even my POTS line had service interruptions, and there was no fixing that myself.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
How often does this happen? Or is there other better and more stable options? Thanks.
I'm on the Atlanta POP. No issues here. Also never had any issues that I can recall, and I've been with them for at least two years. Don't let one outage turn you off from a provider. I've been nothing but happy with them. Everyone has outages.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
It happens 3 or 4 times a year with voip.ms on the Toronto node. It usually happens at night but does happen during the day sometimes. But that's true of most carriers.

EndeavorPBX

Reaction score
I use Seattle and have almost never seen it go down.

FYI- when a server does go down, VOIP.ms typically points the DNS to the IP of another server and re-routes the DIDs to that server so that incoming calls continue. If they do so, you should continue to get service unless you are connecting using the IP instead of the hostname.

You can also build-in your own failover to another server for inbound and outbound calls by following these general instructions:

1. Set-up Trunks with two VOIP.ms servers, such as Atlanta and New York.
2. Set-up your DID to route calls primarily to your trunk on the New York Server.
3. In the fail-over fields, route your calls to another DID which points to your Atlanta trunk. For the cheapest option, you can use a virtual DID. It might also be possible to use a SIP URI for the failover, but I haven't tested this.
4. Set your outbound route to send calls to New York first, and then Atlanta.

This may not guard against total server failures in NY, but will guard against situations where your connection with NY goes down.

rchalk

Reaction score
I have been using VOIP.MS for over 2 years. I have several customers, and use different nodes for each, so as to keep an eye on usage of trunks using FOP2. In that time, I have only experienced very brief outages, before they reroute calls, and fix the problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.