NO JOY More Cisco 7940 Fun Times... ><

notaloafer

Reaction score
I'm a bit at a loss here as to what is going on. The phone boots up, goes through the motions like it's going to work, pulls the "loads" file then sits on "Configuring IP" for a few seconds, flashes to "Configuring CM List" then goes back to "Configuring IP" again. It's also acting very sporadic with my ping requests - some of them come back with a response, and some time out. I've tried setting the static t*f*t*p and DNS/DHCP settings to no avail. The settings show up correctly automatically via DHCP in the settings window on the phone.

I bought all of these from the same batch, and all of them have the exact same issue, except for one of them which seemed to work correctly out of the box. I'm unsure where to go from at this point. I've tried about 100 different solutions from various sources online to no avail. I even downgraded the firmware to version six, and tried upgrading it back. Currently I am trying to use P003-08-8-00 firmware. It works just fine at my other office, but for some reason these particular phones are being a nightmare.

The ONLY difference I can see when the phone is booting and gets stuck, is on the phone working one it boots to a different Copyright screen (the squished one on the left) while all of the stuck ones boot to one that takes up the entire screen.

Working Phone:
Starts up with Universal App Loader (2000-2007)
Goes to squished Cisco SIP loader (2000-2006)
Phone boots and works fine every restart

Under firmware status is the following:
Firmware Version: P0S3-08-8-00
Load ID: PC030301
DSP Load ID: 4.0(2.0)[A0]

Bad Phones:
Starts up with Universal App Loader (2000-2006) ** Older?
Goes to full-screen Cisco Loader (does not say SIP) (2000-2006)
Gets stuck on Configuring IP / Configuring CM List looping

Under firmware status is the following:
App Load ID: P00308000400
Boot Load ID: PC0303010200
Version: 8.0(4.0)

Any ideas / help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

notaloafer

Reaction score
So for anyone else out there, I figured it out. I had to go to 08-2 then to 08-6 then to 08-8 to get the firmware to take. What a pain in the A$$!

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but yes you're right you do need to upgrade in steps with older Cisco firmware as they changed their bootloader around 2010 I think. This means the same applies to any 7900 series handset on older firmware, not just the 7940.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.