QUESTION 60hz Hum - Aastra 6737i

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
I have a customer experiencing 60hz Hum on an Aastra 6737i
I just called them and heard it myself. Seems like it's probably a hardware issue, I'm not sure what would generate 60hz hum in an IP phone.
Anyone else ever run into this?

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
It's from a PoE Switch. There are about 20 other phones on the same switch.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
hbonath

You might check into the possibility that the cable run for that phone is run over a fluorescent light fixture or some other AC noise source. Try turning off lights along the suspected cable run and see if the noise disappears. At the circuit breaker box, turn off one breaker at a time and see if the noise disappears.

Reaction score
Was call through a SIP truck or POTS line. If SIP check port on switch and phone if POTS check lines. Also have they moved anything that generates a lot ot EMF next to the phone or coiled cord? Bad coiled cord or handset could also pick up hum.

BeerCan

Guru
Reaction score
Every time I had hum or inference issues the source was florescent lights. FWIW

markrmcs

Reaction score
- Try a different port on the switch.
- Try to move the phone to a different room/ethernet drop.

This will help to isolate the problem to being the phone or the cabling to the phone.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
Well for now I had them switch from PoE to an Aastra power adapter and we'll see. I figure Fluorescent Lights are possible if PoE, it doesn't make sense if it's just networking (I would imagine packet loss would be the symptom in that case)
I appreciate the tips, I'll probably swap the phone next to see if it follows to a different device to see if it is something environmental to that office.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.