FOOD FOR THOUGHT IncredibleFax - user logins, and printing..

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
old flavor of
PBX in a Flash Version = 1.7.5.5 Running on *HARDWARE* │
│ FreePBX Version = 2.9.0.14 │
│ Running Asterisk Version = 1.8.4.1 │
│ Asterisk Source Version = 1.8.4.1 │
│ Dahdi Source Version = 2.4.1.2+2.4.1 │
│ Libpri Source Version = 1.4.11.5 │
│ IP Address = 10.0.1.160 on eth0 │
│ Operating System = CentOS release 5.6 (Final) │
│ Kernel Version = 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 - 32 Bit

Installed incrediblefax2, have it working.
However - 2 questions:

1. can't create users in the fax area. Can't login as them. is that something that's disabled like elsewehre in Piaf, or can it be fixed? the whole idea of using this as an office fax option is kinda mute if you have to handout the maint password to your secretary so she can fax....

2. Is there a print capability for incrediblefax (goal is to auto-print received faxes)? Would I need to upgrade to ifax11 ?

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
didn't see any reponse to this...

found this Hylafax page about printing:

very curious if someone has been able to pull this off with Piaf??

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
MacNix,

I have faxes being emailed to me as a pdf through AvantFax/Hylafax.
I don't know your config (I'm using a remote RentPBX site), but it's rather easy to create a rule in Outlook for a specific email address.

Given that I have the PDF in my inbox, I'm not sure I see the value in printing it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...omatically print email attachments in Outlook

If you control your own email system, you could also create an account which is ONLY for incoming faxes (i.e. the target of the fax email).

Andrew

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
My issues are twofold. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

1. Auto-printing of received faxes on the box.
This client **CANNOT** have the fax converted to an email. It's a legal thing for them. It has to become a physical print as soon as it hits the box.​
IS there a way to auto-print all received faxes?? Or how would someone go about building that in?​
2. User logins
In order to have a workgroup using the fax for outbound, I have to have numerous associates logging into the Hylafax interface, where they can upload and send faxes. Again, same people - faxes **CANNOT** be emailed.​
from my experience, adding a user login to Hylafax is not working - i'm unable to then login as that user to send a fax. (and of course I don't want to hand out the 'maint' pwd to a group of secretaries and college interns, for obvious reasons).​
So how can it be fixed, so there are working user-logins for those users?​

MacNix,

I have faxes being emailed to me as a pdf through AvantFax/Hylafax.
I don't know your config (I'm using a remote RentPBX site), but it's rather easy to create a rule in Outlook for a specific email address.

Given that I have the PDF in my inbox, I'm not sure I see the value in printing it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=automatically print email attachments in Outlook

If you control your own email system, you could also create an account which is ONLY for incoming faxes (i.e. the target of the fax email).

Andrew

mikemcc11

Reaction score
MacNIX,

I had this problem a few months ago. I don't remember exactly what I did. I know that I found a "user not found" error in a log. I am sorry that I don't remember exactly what it was. I believe that I fixed it by adding the username & password with faxadduser and then adding the same users in Avantfax. Hopefully this gives you a clue. Sorry I don't remember the details.

markrmcs

Reaction score
Add a network or local printer to the system via CUPS or Webmin or whatever method you prefer, go to the Avantfax control panel, on the pull down menu select "Modems".

Select the modem(s) and in the "Printer" field fill out the printer you added and the fax will print on arrival.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
This client **CANNOT** have the fax converted to an email. It's a legal thing for them. It has to become a physical print as soon as it hits the box.

I'm NOT disputing what the client has requested, but I'd be curious as to what the "legal thing" actual stipulates.

In a 'normal' fax transmission from machine to machine, everything happens in real time, and as the data is transmitted to the receiving end the fax is being spit out on the fax printer, as quickly as the printer allows. Except for a bit of buffered memory, no storage of data takes place. Once any buffers are cleared of data, the two machines disconnect. In the case of pseudo-fax programs such as Hylafax, the received fax data is first stored in a file on the PBX (or other server). At this point, the file can either be emailed, or printed at your convenience. Since this file exists, even for a short time, I'm wondering how this would overcome the objection of not having copies floating around 'somewhere'.

I'm not trying to pick an argument with the client, just trying to understand the immediate 'print' requirement, as this file could still remain on the server, perhaps undermining their privacy/security requirement.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
This is all government-imposed B.S. because the bureaucrats have no idea how the real machines actually work. Keep in mind that most copiers and fax machines have stored incoming faxes and copies on hard disks for years... unbeknownst to the public and Uncle Sam. Let Me Google That For You.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.