SUGGESTIONS Lost SSH - any way to gracefully shutdown my VM?

matt91

Reaction score
I run Asterisk 11 on Ubuntu 14.04, which runs in a VirtualBox VM.

All usually works well, but i just discovered that for some reason my SSH service has died. Also, i can't connect via RDP to the VM instance. (I do see the incrediblepbx login screen, but keyboard no workie.)

Asterisk still runs and i can still make and receive calls. However, at some point, i'll need to shutdown the server. Since i still have access to the "FreePBX System Status" www portal, is there anything I can do to gracefully shutdown? (or minimize potential problems from having to just kill the VM?)

Thanks,
matt

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
my experience is that you can often press the power button once, and it'll do a graceful shutdown on its own.. not all hardware does this, but this works on a number of my systems.....

well, since I didn't catch that it's a VM (despite seeing the "VM" right there!) o_O that's probably a worthless piece of advice in this situation! :oops:

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
I wonder if the FreePBX Java SSH plugin would work to 127.0.0.1? You would be on the localhost side using that. You never know.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
matt91

As long as you have access to host server either from the console or via SSH, you can try to do an ACPI shutdown of the guest OS using the Virtualbox command-line utilities. First, you need to know the name of the running instance. By the way, you can run VBoxManage with no options and it will show you all the different options and things you can do from the shell.

Code:
VBoxManage list runningvms

Once you have the name of your instance, you can try to shut it down with this.

Code:
VBoxManage controlvm PBX acpipowerbutton

Of course, replace "PBX" with whatever the name of your instance is called. You can also try to enable the RDP server and do a whole host of other things from here.

EDIT: Jay Deal has a good suggestion (while I was writing the above). I'd forgotten that even existed! Thanks, Jay!

matt91

Reaction score
thanks all. i was able to access via webmin and just restart the SSH server. didn't even have to reboot. Thanks for the help and guidance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.