TRY THIS New user - confused & frustrated

1 of 2 Jakes

Reaction score
I'm really new to asterisk and telephony in general!

My goal was to have the computers in my house call each other on softphones. I setup PIAF in virtualbox and proceeded to setup a few extensions. This is working and all computers & cell phones (with softphones) can call each other by dialling a 3 digit extension.
With this accomplished, I purchased an Obi100 to add a VOIP telephone to the setup. I signed up with “voipmuch” and setup Sp1 on the Obi100. This works as I can use a landline to dial my VOIP phone #, and “the phone plugged into the Obi100” rings. I can dial out from “the phone plugged into the Obi100” and connect to other landline phones.
I moved forward by setting up Sp2 as an extension in PIAF (ext500). Now the "phone plugged into the Obi100" can call all the softphones, and all the softphones can call the Obi100.
What I cannot do is call landline phones from a softphone.

I have gone over many tutorials (mostly for Obi110) on this, but I get confused by the references to 'line ports' on the OBI110. I've reset the obi100 to factory a dozen times, learned about virtualbox snapshots (after the 3rd complete setup!), and have become very confused between trunks and extensions, routes and dial plans.

I *think* the Obi100 doesn't know how to send a call from Sp2 to Sp1. How do I test for this condition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

PIAF green 3.6.5-32 updated
OBi100 1.3.0 (Build: 2872) (no updates available)

john p

Reaction score
Let me try to help. The OBi100 has 1 network port and one analog phone port. It connects a standard analog phone to a IP phone service. The OBi110 has 2 phone ports - 1 for an analog phone and 1 for and external analog phone line. So, if you have PIAF set up, it can talk to the network port on either OBI to place analog calls, with a configuration on both the the PBX and the OBi so they can talk to each other over IP. The OBi then talks to the analog phone or, in the case of the OBi110, an external analog line. For example, I have an OBi302 connected to my PIAF, which I did by configuring each to a SIP connection to an extension. As a result, calls from my VIOP provider into my PIAF can ring the phone attached by using the extension I assigned. My OBi never connects to the outside world - just my PIAF. As I understand your setup, you have a phone connected to your OBi & have configured it to talk "voipmuch." As a result, calls to/from that provider ring on the attached phone as expected. For PIAF to handle this and interconnect with the softphone, I think you need to 1) configure PIAF to connect to your trunk provider then configure your OBi to connect to the PIAF as well. Then incoming calls will be routed to the phone/extension you've set up and they can call each other. Here is one link that may help: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29...tup-an-Obi-110-to-connect-with-PBX-in-a-Flash. Good lluck.

1 of 2 Jakes

Reaction score
Thanks for the response John, I'll take a read on the link you sent a little later tonight.
What I was trying to do was avoid having PIAF talk to directly to the trunk provider. The approach was that a call would come in on Sp1 then, based on an incoming call 'rule' in the Obi, get passed to Sp2 (PIAF). The problem is getting the call to move from PIAF, back to the Obi's analog phone (setup as an extension in PIAF). I'm not sure if the Sp2 'trunk' (I think I'm using the term correctly) can "carry the call from the Obi" and the same call "to the Obi" at the same time.
I'll keep at it, eventually things work out...or they don't.
Thanks again ,

Jake

1 of 2 Jakes

Reaction score
Ok I read the link, and started over from a factory reset. I also talked to my service provider and had them connect me with a trunk so "i could get incoming calls on my asterisk pbx".
Now when I try to make an outgoing call I get the "all lines are busy" message. I've read through the log file and I *think* that it's telling me that my service provider didn't get it right. Is there a guide to reading the logs?

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
You will need an Outbound Route that will 'point' to your Trunk. If you can sanitize the part of your log files (using the {} code tags) which show the call being attempted, we may be able to provide better assistance, once we 'see' what's transpiring.

1 of 2 Jakes

Reaction score
I setup a basic outbound route (NXXNXXXXXX) and the trunk is set to +1 to the out going number.
The number I was dialing was (sanitized for posting) 5551234567), my account number is (sanitized for posting) 3XXXXXXXX.
I am running Asterisk (Ver. 11.13.0) - raspbx, sip show registry = registered
(I don't understand how to use the {} code tags, so I cut & pasted and edited version between the braces)
The call log, showing one attempt, looks like this:

http://pastebin.com/aX1xVWkD

Thanks for looking at the log. I am prepared to read and learn, but I've gotten myself a bit "confused"..

Thanks again,

Jake

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Line 98 is key:
Code:
[2014-10-27 19:55:48] WARNING[3398][C-00000002]: chan_sip.c:23019 handle_response_invite: Received response: "Forbidden" from '<sip:[email protected]>;tag=as36daba7a'
Something's wrong in your trunk configuration. Most likely the username or password.

1 of 2 Jakes

Reaction score
Thanks Ross!
I saw that and, since the sip registries report says the trunk is registered, I dismissed it!
I went back and looked at my trunk settings. I found that the instructions I was given by my provider said " password = xxxx". Everything I've been reading for the last few weeks said "secret =". I switched to "secret=" and.... it WORKS!!!
Yeehaaa!!!

Sometimes it's the simplest things that cause the most grief..

Thank you, and the community, for all the help!

Jake

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
@1of2jakes :

to answer about how to paste code here

use square left bracket the word code and right square bracket to begin the area

place / paste the logs, code etc. in next

end the area with left square bracket a forward slash the word code and a right bracket

If using the editor icons in a post box its the 2nd from end on the bottom

without spaces it looks like: [ code ]Your pasting goes in here[ /code ] (if I did it the correct way it looks like what is in the post by rossiv above in the CODE box.

This is called BBcode (you may want to google it to find out other things you can do. Like url links and such.

For emoticons (smilies and such) use the Icon up above in the editor and mouse over and note the name in between the colons -- this is how you add them to posts like this : smile5 : without spaces produces this :smile5:

BBCode is similar to HTML tags < a href= yada > is equivilent to [ url= yada ] and is a lot safer in forums and other places

Welcome to the community
Look around in here, there is a LOT to take in. It comes in time
Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.