TIPS Paging Hardware??

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for some device.. that acts like a phone.. but isn't a phone...
plugs into the intercom distribution amplifier(think school intercom)
that I can assign an extension and dial into(perhaps with some PIN required to complete connection)
and then make announcements...

even better if announcements could be pre-recorded and a call merely activates the recording.

This has come up here before but all my google'n has turned up naught

zugzug

Reaction score
I agree with the cyberdata recommendation. We just deployed one of those, with 2 horns. Simple system with some flexible options. It has worked flawlessly and POE powered was a big plus.

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys.. I have some more questions as I'm still quite the noob when it comes to all of this SIP integration stuff.
Client is a small private high school... they are building a new administrative building(then a new classroom-wing as funds permit) which would house all of the new servers/etc...
but needs to tie into the old schools' intercom system as well as the new building.

Do these things simply hook up to the VoiP network and work as an extension that 'auto answers'? Can each classroom be intercom'd individually, no need for 2-way comms.
Are paging zones some software grouping of end-point speakers?
What's the difference between Paging and Intercom? 1-way vs. 2-way?

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
What's the difference between Paging and Intercom? 1-way vs. 2-way?

I think you just figured it out all on your own! No need to think too hard about it. :eek:)

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Thing is with PiaF and FreePBX you can:

Do these things simply hook up to the VoiP network and work as an extension that 'auto answers'? -> if each classroom had a phone with speaker (GPX1405 - 2 line from Grandstream) each classroom WOULD be its own Extension. -- With the Paging amps I'm not knowlegeable there though.

Can each classroom be intercom'd individually? -> Yes *80Exten with the phone set to auto answer
no need for 2-way comms - You can if you want

Are paging zones some software grouping of end-point speakers? - Look at Paging and Intercom in FreePBX as you can create the zones to page only certain extensions as needed. e.g. 120 East Wing Ground floor - 121 East Wing 1st floor - 220 West Wing Ground floor ... you get the idea.
What's the difference between Paging and Intercom? 1-way vs. 2-way? -- expanding on above (using phones) you can set the page group to be one way OR duplex so the Page group acts as a two way Intercom. -- Using your school as an e.g. Office Pages 1200 (AllCall) Principal Jones You have a call on Line 710 -- Principal answers from a hallway (or classroom) Transfer to Ext 3433 please.

Hope this is some help or food for thought (Amps are great for hallway speakers and in the gym. And some CAN handle two-way audio but probably cost more.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ejrubin
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.