TIPS Baby/room monitor

Reaction score
I reckon this must be possible, so here's an idea I could use some creative input on.

Thinking along the lines of a baby/room monitor.

My idea is have a handset in the room to be monitored that a user dials in a particular number. Let's say the extension is 200 and I want it to be monitored on 2229 (baby). So 200 dials 2229.

Then other users who want to hear what's happening on 200 will dial 2229 and hear the audio. Could be one or two way audio (ideally one way for a baby monitor, for instance I have Cisco 7900's and if I dialled in and hit 'mute' the handset unmutes after so long if it's left on speakerphone so having two way audio for a baby monitor wouldn't work in that scenario). Allowing multiple users to dial 2229 at once would be perfect so there can be multiple listeners.

Developing it into a module could be interesting but a bit beyond my skills.

What are people's thoughts?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Use a Yealink and create multiple extensions. Dial *80+extno to monitor. One call per extension though. There's a code to MUTE as well, just don't remember what it is.

Reaction score
Hang on, just got it, think I'm overcooking the idea... conference call!!! Leader is baby, all others can dial in, as many as I like, all muted on entry. Would this happily run for hours? Overnight?

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Forever, even!

Just remember to disable MOH, cuz when "baby" first dials the conf room, he/she will be either lulled to sleep by the music, or will be bouncing off the walls!

Reaction score
:) My MOH is a bit energetic, wise words there.

I've managed to also configure my Cisco 7941's to ring when a call is in place instead of a discreet beep, so the phone used to monitor will still alert me to an incoming call (providing I put the baby monitor handset on DND or that could be another problem ha!)

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
:) My MOH is a bit energetic

While my "comment" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I suppose you could set up an additional "baby" class of music, containing an assortment of sleepy time tunes, played at a lower volume. Make sure to select "random play", because the little angel will quickly learn the scripted playlist!

Reaction score
That is a good idea. I have set up a conference room under 744 (shh) which is effectively a one way audio conference. I could then set up another one to have soft music as a lullaby, would this baby class of music work okay to play over the lead conference user channel even when others are dialed in?

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
As far as I know, and my wife will remind me of how often I'm wrong, the music will only play to the first person dialed in. Once a second person joins the conference, these two people (and subsequent persons) are able to converse, without the MOH playing.

There is also a "Leader Wait" option, where individuals are forced to wait for the conference leader to join, but I don't know if each individual is held muted in a group while listening to music, or in total isolation of each other. I'd be anxious to learn from your experience!

rjaiswal

Reaction score
I do this all the time at home with my cisco spa series phones. I have my extensions auto answer internal calls. We dial my daughter's room, the phone auto answers and puts on the speakerphone. We then mute the phone in the room we are in. The mics on these phones are way more sensitive than a baby monitor. And there is no static because it's all digital. :)

LesD

Reaction score
I do this all the time at home with my cisco spa series phones. I have my extensions auto answer internal calls. We dial my daughter's room, the phone auto answers and puts on the speakerphone. We then mute the phone in the room we are in. The mics on these phones are way more sensitive than a baby monitor. And there is no static because it's all digital. :)

Is there not a loud beep when the phone auto-answers - designed to alert the people in the room to the fact that they are being monitored?

Reaction score
I shouldn't think it would be difficult to suppress such a beep, the phone display or light will indicate a call is in progress. A beep on auto answer is usually designed more for applications such as call centres to notify a call has been placed, as far as I'm aware a loud beep has never been placed with the intention to notify people in a room they're being monitored.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
Is there not a loud beep when the phone auto-answers - designed to alert the people in the room to the fact that they are being monitored?

My daughter is such a sound sleeper, that she completely ignores the beep. And we've been using for it so long, she's gotten used to it.

LesD

Reaction score
A beep on auto answer is usually designed more for applications such as call centres to notify a call has been placed, as far as I'm aware a loud beep has never been placed with the intention to notify people in a room they're being monitored.
I most certainly would like to be notified if someone remotely has started to listen in to what is being said in my room.

There most certainly is a beep heard at the remote end. It is quite short but it is definitely there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.