FOOD FOR THOUGHT Cloudatcost DNS Issue

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
I installed the PBX in a Flash just fine on an instance at Cloudatcost - everything works but I cannot access the system via my DNS name. I used by xxxxx.cloudatcost.com address and then changed it to myname.cloudatcost.com from the main panel.

Is there something special that those of you did to get dns working on your instance? I did open a ticket yesterday, but haven't heard a thing yet.

I can access via numeric IP address, but that's not good for sendmail.

Cheers.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
As a temporary solution, I defined the IP address on afraid.org - named it ***.mooo.com (it's kinda like a cow). :1eye: It does relay mail correctly now, but it really should be defined by the xxxx.cloudatcost.com name.

TS-79

Reaction score
It can take some time for DNS to update. How long has it been? after 24 hours you can assume something is wrong. Perhaps cloudatcost is not updating their DNS properly from their backend.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
It's only been about 20 hours. The temporary work-aound I sited with afraid.org didn't work out they way I had hoped. I'm in a holding pattern now as the console no longer responds from the main site..... Sigh.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, something is up with their DNS today. My mail server is rejecting emails from their support as mail2.cloudatcost.com doesn't resolve to a host. I have a support ticket open for another issue and pointed this out as I watched my server reject their reply. Tech said that was being worked on.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Well, I learned that they do not offer DNS support. You need to go get your own "A" record from another provider and point to the IP address of their server. When I described that I only could access my instance using an IP and not their given name, the response was:

Description:oh okay, that is why, that name is just a name, it does nothing to resolve to the ip address. You have to use an actual domain and make an A record. thanks.

Seems to me, they are missing out on a business opportunity...

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, something is up with their DNS today.

Yep, just tried to fire up a new trunk definition for VoIP.ms - pbx in a flash Unable to lookup '***provider ip address***'

Also getting :

[2014-09-30 15:46:38] ERROR[4387] netsock2.c: getaddrinfo("***provider ip address***", "(null)", ...): Name or service not known
[2014-09-30 15:46:38] WARNING[4387] acl.c: Unable to lookup '***provider ip address***'

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have "***provider ip address***" defined in your trunk settings?

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I did have that defined. It was a temporary "glitch" - as soon as I did an amportal restart, all was well.. I just added a few more trunks without issue this morning. I'm treading slowly.

I do need some advise as this is my first journey in to a hosted platform:

I can send to gmail just fine from the hosted environment, if I attempt to send to Road Runner (TWC) it is rejected with "unable to resolve the reverse DNS, or PTR,". What is the easiest and less expensive way to register a DNS record that also has reverse lookup. afraid.org does not do reverse lookups.

Thanks for any pointers!

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
PTR records are controlled by the IP block owner, which is the problem I'm having with CatC at the moment. I think their DNS servers got seriously hurt the past few days, maybe even highjacked by the Shellshock exploit, who knows. Their mail servers don't even resolve properly at the moment.

RDNS is controlled by the domain owner, so if that's what you want/need, you'll need to buy a domain and then setup DNS for it using a service such as GoDaddy (that's what I use, but there are many more out there).

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
You can dig and dig... finally, after a few hours, found this for Godaddy. I'm trying it now...
FIRST! : You now have to use the classic dns manager to get the spf option. The new dns zone file editor doesn't work this way.

o add a PTR record in the GoDaddy DNS Manager, you need to do the following:
  • In the Zone Field Editor go down to the TXT(text) Zone
    • Click Add SPF Record
A window will open with 4 tabs (Inbound, Outbound, The well hidden 'PTR' and Outsourced)
  • Go to the PTR tab
  • Check Include PTR and add your public IP

http://serverfault.com/questions/219779/how-to-setup-ptr-reverse-dns-at-godaddy-dns-manager

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
I just changed my SPF record with that info, we'll see if it works. I currently can't send any mail to a hosting company called 1and1 because of this damn PTR problem.

This is what I have been getting:
Code:
Oct  1 11:34:08 avscanner2 postfix/smtp[8309]: 3j6gC03dGvz31C5: to=<[email protected]>, relay=mx01.1and1.com[74.208.5.21]:25, delay=96900, delays=96900/0.02/0.41/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host mx01.1and1.com[74.208.5.21] refused to talk to me: 554-perfora.net (mxeueus002) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available 554-No SMTP service 554 invalid DNS PTR resource record)

We'll see what happens in a day or two.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
As I wrap my brain around PTR records more, I'm quite certain this will not work. PTR records are only maintained by the ISP, so by me adding it to my SPF record doesn't solve anything.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
They have now fixed their reverse DNS issue. Meaning, my IP can now be reverse looked up to resolve my host name entered in the Panel. That should (hopefully) mean they fixed their DNS issues for the default names that are entered there (the ones ending in *.cloudatcost.com).

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
I haven't tested it yet, but I just got this e-mail on a ticket that I opened...

Description:Hi the DNS Server will be working shortly sorry for the delay.

----
Thanks,

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Tested mine, still a no-go. I'll try again in the morning.. Sigh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.