PIONEERS Incredible PBX for Dockstar & PogoPlug E02

Frederick Grayson

Reaction score
So I take it this won't work on the E02 model. Is there a way for me to get it to work. My Linux knowledge is limited but I can follow instructions.
Thanks

I think it's possible to get this to work on an E02. The E02 is easily converted to run Debian, so once that is accomplished it should be a simple matter of swapping the Debian USB drive for one with the Incredible PBX image written to it and booting it.

I have what is purportedly an E02 on the way. It should be here Monday 9/21. I'll post back with my results and what was done if successful. This is the HOWTO I intend to use to put Debian Wheezy on it which supposedly also retains the ability to boot the original Pogoplug OS, if desired.

http://blog.vinnymac.org/?p=11

You may want to read up on the procedure. Note that it's possible to brick your Pogoplug when trying to do things like this to it.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Ha: "the Internet of Things," perfected! :)

As to IncrediblePBX on the Dockstar, I may give that a whirl. Assuming a good backup and a new USB Stick, I won't be breaking anything. I'm one of those who can follow a recipe but perhaps can't create one. We'll see...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Ha: "the Internet of Things," perfected! :)

As to IncrediblePBX on the Dockstar, I may give that a whirl. Assuming a good backup and a new USB Stick, I won't be breaking anything. I'm one of those who can follow a recipe but perhaps can't create one. We'll see...

Sounds like you have CrockPot potential as well. :chef:

lewy2

Reaction score
I think it's possible to get this to work on an E02. The E02 is easily converted to run Debian, so once that is accomplished it should be a simple matter of swapping the Debian USB drive for one with the Incredible PBX image written to it and booting it.

I have what is purportedly an E02 on the way. It should be here Monday 9/21. I'll post back with my results and what was done if successful. This is the HOWTO I intend to use to put Debian Wheezy on it which supposedly also retains the ability to boot the original Pogoplug OS, if desired.

http://blog.vinnymac.org/?p=11

You may want to read up on the procedure. Note that it's possible to brick your Pogoplug when trying to do things like this to it.

Thanks. Well, I did write that my knowledge of Linux is limited. I knew that the E02 runs debian, and have Wheezy running on it for a long time, but I was under the impression that the Incredible PBX image needed to be modified to run on the particular hardware. If you are right I will give it a try. I gues the worst that can happen is that it won't boot.

Frederick Grayson

Reaction score
If your E02 already is running Debian, then the bootloader was previously modified to do so. Just write the pogoplug.img file to another USB flash drive and boot it. AFAIK, the Incredible PBX was built on Debian Wheezy. Also the Pogoplug V2 and Series 4 are both ARM5 devices, so it should just work.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
@Grayson, the other day I very hurredly tried to do what you described with a Dockstar (also ARM5): I wrote the Pogo image to a flash drive, inserted it in the Dockstar (which has a modded bootloader and which normally runs Wheezy [Debian 7, yes?] and Asterisk 1.8.13 off a different flash drive) and rebooted. No go. Can't even access the rescue partition when the Pogo image stick is in (something not a problem when no flash drives are present).

Frederick Grayson

Reaction score
@Grayson, the other day I very hurredly tried to do what you described with a Dockstar (also ARM5): I wrote the Pogo image to a flash drive, inserted it in the Dockstar (which has a modded bootloader and which normally runs Wheezy [Debian 7, yes?] and Asterisk 1.8.13 off a different flash drive) and rebooted. No go. Can't even access the rescue partition when the Pogo image stick is in (something not a problem when no flash drives are present).

Yes, Debian 7 is Wheezy. What did you use to write the image to flash with? Can you examine the drive somewhere to see if it actually does contain the boot files? I don't think an installed rescue system will boot if another drive, even a non-bootable drive, is plugged in when it boots, but I don't know this for sure. I suppose the kernel supplied with the Pogo image might be incompatible with your Dockstar.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll go look at the Pogo-imaged flash drive. I'd assumed that, as a presumably bootable image, the Pogo image contained the boot files -- perhaps my mistake. Trying now to remember what I'd used to format the flash drive with; I do have SD Formatter but I can't remember if it works on non-SD media and whether I used it or not. I have any manner of other formatting software, and several native Linux boxes that exist only because I was able to follow a recipe as Ward would say, so I can use them apply any appropriate/recommended format. I wrote the image using Win32 Disk Imager (as suggested by the nerdvittles article) on a Win7-64-bit machine.

Not a biggie and don't want to hijack the thread, but the Dockstar and Pogo are at least first cousins. I have the $10.95 Pogo on order, but was actually thinking it would be cool to use the Dockstar because it is about 50% faster (1.2GHz vs. 800 GHz, IIRC). Dunno about the kernal incompatibility; maybe (although I recall a while back fiddling with environment variables/settings to accomodate a similar issue when updating the device to handle either the newest rescue, or perhaps Wheezy...)

Frederick Grayson

Reaction score
The Pogo image (pogoplug.img) is bootable, but there are loads of reasons why it might not work on Dockstar. I'm not sure what would be the fastest route to getting it working - doing major surgery on the image file, or just installing everything needed into your existing Debian.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Thanks!

Not up to (not Linux-savy enough) to do the surgery. Doing an install under the existing Debian is how I got to Asterisk in the first place so that's a possibility but I probably won't as it is running Asterisk fine right now and I intentionally rolled-back my initial Asterisk+FreePBX install from years back because the responsiveness of the GUI on the Dockstar was so sluggish. Mostly wanted to try the Pogo image just to "see if it would work." I'll go the "real" Pogo route instead and probably use my DO account rather than a metal IPBX box for updating.

Amusingly, I'd hit on updating the Dockstar in a similar manner a long time ago: I have a dormant PIAF box running 1.8.X. If something about raw dialplan scripting on the Asterisk-only Dockstar eludes me, I fire-up the PeeCee, make changes using the GUI, and export the config files to the Dockstar. This works surprisingly/amazingly well!

Frederick Grayson

Reaction score
Well, as far as I would go with the surgery is to remove and replace all of /boot and the loose files in / of the pogoplug USB drive with those from your working Debian USB drive. One attempt and one attempt only.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
That seems relatively easy. I'll give it a shot.

**edit to add**

Well, will you lookie that! Lots of things red, but it booted. I did not copy the swap file thinking that in an install image it wouldn't be populated. Easy to rectify. And I'm amused that it says Eth0 is down because it updated Debian just fine during the install process.

I may need to return that $11 Pogoplug "Backup and Sharing" device! :)

Dockstar IPBX.JPG

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
You may have to use 'modprobe <firmware file>' to load the firmware for eht0 and then do a 'ifconfig eth0 up' followed by a 'ifup eth0' then a 'dhcleint eth0'. Make sure the correct firmware is loaded during boot so that it is available as soon as possible for all the services.

Also try 'service apache2 restart' and 'service mysql restart'.

You might also have some permissions issues. Try 'amportal chown'

That would be my first steps.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Thanks Jay. I may take this to a new thread so as to not continue to hijack this Pogo thread.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
(Ward, in creating this thread you lead off with Frederick Grayson's post, which is actualy about a different device. The start of the Dockstar question is really post #55 in that other thread. And, Irony, I was working on a new, stand-alone Dockstar thread when I saw this fork. I deleted that effort and am posting everything here. This is what I had written...)

(Work in progress here. This minor effort amuses me, and is currently being engaged in using dubious equipment well undersized compared to what has been recommended on Nerdvittles. Nothing production-ready about this!)

Having been reading all about the effort to move Incredible PBX to the Pogoplug 4 inthis forum and on Nerdvittles, and having ordered one of the $10.95 Pogoplug Backup and Sharing devices (to be delivered) to play along, I started wondering if the Pogoplug image file could be adapted to run on my venerable Seagate Dockstar. The Dockstar is, after all, a close cousin to many Pogoplug devices, with an ARM5 processor running at 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM and connectivity for 4 Gig-E USB devices.

Me: don't really know nuthin' about Linux. I read directions and try to avoid typos. But over the years I have successfully set-up many PIAF boxes (bare metal and VirtualBox), managed to get Xubuntu on a decade-old laptop (hacking around the laptop's failure to support PAE), and lobotomized my Dockstar first so as to run Debian Lenny, Asterisk and FreePBX (with much help from the Jeff Doozan site and twinclouds [who was there, is here, and is on DSLReports as well] way back then!) and finall Debian Wheezy and plain Asterisk (which is its current duty).

What I've done/what works/what doesn't work at the moment:

Right off the bat I noticed that the Pogoplug scheme is SD-card-centric. My Dockstar is all USB Flashdrives, all the time. But, what the heck: I found an old, no-doubt very slow MicroCenter brand 4G USB stick in a drawer. I may have formated it to EXT 2 or 3 (I've honestly forgotten), but in any event used Win32DiskImager on my Win7-64-bit box to write the Pogoplug.img file to the 4GB USB flashdrive.

I shut down the Dockstar, removed the existing flashdrive, plugged in the new one and... Nothing. Not sure why. The Dockstar is ordinarily happy booting Debian Wheezy on flashdrives these days -- does it all the time. I posted my query here on the forums and Frederick Grayson suggested (see #12, above) that I "replace all of /boot and the loose files in / of the pogoplug USB drive with those from your working Debian USB drive." So, I did that. In doing so I noticed that my working USB drive contained files styled "3.2.0-4-kirkwood, but the Pogo image contained files "3.14.0-kirkwood." Newer? MUCH newer?

Nevertheless, Grayson's suggestion got me much further. The Dockstar booted using the Pogoplug stick, did its thing, and presented me with a status page looking like the image in #13, above.

I followed the Nerdvittles instructions (changing passwords, setting time zone) and now have the FreePBX webserver up. Image attached below.

"Status" invoked via Putty still shows LAN ETH0 as down. But that can't be right -- the FreePBX System Status web screen shows activity on "Networks/eth0 receive/transmit." Moreover, phpsysinfo shows this:

NETWORK USAGE
Device
Received
Sent
Err/Drop
lo​
946.82 KiB
946.82 KiB
0/0
eth0​
521.01 KiB
4.35 MiB
0/0
Dmesg gives this:

root@pogoplug:~# dmesg
[ 49.788033] mv643xx_eth_port mv643xx_eth_port.0: eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled
And, if I follow the suggestion of Jay Deal in #14, above, I get this:

root@pogoplug:~# ifconfig eth0 up
root@pogoplug:~# ifup eth0
ifup: interface eth0 already configured

Plain ifconfig generates this:

root@pogoplug:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:192.168.X.XXX Bcast:192.168.X.XXXX Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3807 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4915 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:541000 (528.3 KiB) TX bytes:4578230 (4.3 MiB)
Interrupt:11
Looks like it's working to me...

Jay's suggestion to fix permissions results in this:

root@pogoplug:~# amportal chown

Please wait...

SETTING FILE PERMISSIONS
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /var/www/html/cxpanel
chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on /var/www/html/provisioning
Permissions OK
root@pogoplug:~#

The other errors I got related to IPTables. During installation, and upon attempting iptables-restart I saw/see this:

root@pogoplug:~# iptables-restart

******** 10-SECOND WARNING ALERT ***********
IPtables FQDN problem on line: 2
The unresolvable FQDN is kmod_search_moddep:.
This rule will be temporarily disabled to allow IPtables to start.
Check and correct line 2 in /etc/iptables/rules.v4.
******** 10-SECOND WARNING ALERT ***********

[FAIL] Loading iptables rules... IPv4... IPv6...failed.
IPtables problems noted above were temporarily fixed.
Fix the problems identified in /etc/iptables/rules.v4
IPtables now running without the offending rules(s).
And then later, this:

libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:554 kmod_search_moddep: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.2.0-4-kirkwood/modules.dep.bin'
iptables v1.4.14: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

"Insmod"?

That's all for now; way past dinner time! Later I'll activate the extension, pop in a trunk, and see if this thing actually works.

Attachments

• FreePBX Web Server.JPG
    FreePBX Web Server.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 3

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
I would sudo apt-get reinstall iptables and ip6tables and see if that does anything. Looks like IPTables is looking for (perhaps) the file related to the NIC on the P4 when the kernel autoloaded the one for the NIC on your Dockstar. This also might explain why the IPBX splash is showing eht0 down when in reality it is loaded but as I stated above using a different driver.

Edit: I just looked at the Freepbx status screen you posted...it shows CPU utilization at 2%. I realize that is without any trunks, extensions or active calls but that has to be a good sign. I wonder what the P4 is under that condition.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Update, and data for Jay:

Basic calling works on this Dockstar wearing Pogoplug clothes. I aded a GV trunk and put extension 701 on my 3CX softphone, letting FPBX handle the default inbound/outbound routes. Outbound calling: fine. Inbound calling: Fine. CPU utilization during a (single) call: 0-2%. See image. I dont know if that is accurate or not. It may be: CPU utilization definitely spikes (to 100%/very red) when, for example, you apply a reload of the config files.

But, even during a call the status screen from a puty session into the Dockstar claims LAN eth0 is down. Liar, liar pants on fire.

Jay, I'll try reinstalling IPTables; thanks. Need that running.

Next, I'll try the NerdVittles steps to get EximMail running.

Samba? Unlikely I'd need it, although suggestions to get it "green" are welcome.

That would be everything it appears!

All in all this was pretty easy, and I'm a LinuxNoob! <tm> Dang, maybe shouldn't have ordered that Pogoplug after all! Even the responsiveness of the FPBX GUI is tolerable. The time to apply/submit/reload, however, is quite long and the reason why I got away from FPBX on this platform in the first place: I timed the most recent reload at 36 seconds. Of course, that's with the slowest junkiest flashdrive you could imagine. I'd bet a spiffy new fast USB flashdrive could best that by a lot...

Attachments

• During a call.JPG
    During a call.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 6

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Result of sudo apt-get install iptables:

root@pogoplug:~# sudo apt-get install iptables
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
iptables is already the newest version.
iptables set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

But then, trying to start iptables:

root@pogoplug:~# sudo /etc/init.d/iptables start
[FAIL] Loading iptables rules... IPv4... IPv6...failed.

Frederick Grayson

Reaction score
My Poplug E02 update.

My order from Amazon fulfilled by Adorama arrived today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TDY924/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There was some risk with this as it was not known for sure that I would get a POGO-E02 or something else. As others have reported, the outside of the box indicated it was a POGO-B01, but the unit itself was labeled POGO-E02. This is a good thing!

My E02 came with ssh already enabled, so going to the pogoplug.com site to register the unit and then enable ssh was unnecessary. YMMV. Looking around some it's running kernel 2.6.22.18 and has quite a bit of Linux installed compared to the V4 unit.

Next I plugged in an 8GB USB pen drive into the front panel USB slot, power cycled and ssh logged in with root/ceadmin. In my desktop browser I went to http://blog.vinnymac.org/?p=11 with the goal of installing Debian Wheezy and taking the option to preserve the original Pogoplug OS. This didn't go exactly as I thought it would. According to the web page, there was no longer any need to prepare the USB drive in advance with partitions and formats, as this required step was deprecated. So I just dove into Step 2, as directed, to install Debian Wheezy to the USB drive. As stated, I decided to preserve the original Pogoplug OS, and proceeded. I saw that the new uboot was installed, but the process died when trying to install Wheezy - the USB drive wasn't recognized. So much for the promised auto partition and format of the USB drive.

At his point I decided to remove the USB drive and power cycle the unit. It came back into the original Pogoplug OS. So, it looks like I saved myself a bunch of time installing Wheezy which would have been scrapped anyway.

Next, I powered off the Pogo, and took the USB drive to my Win 7 desktop. I wrote the Incredible PBX pogoplug.img image file that was developed for the Pogoplu V4 units to the USB drive, and then booted the POGO-E02 with it.

Once it settled down I was able to ssh in proceed with the instructions at http://nerdvittles.com/?p=10560 beginning at "Booting Incredible PBX on the Pogoplug. I did as instructed and the unit appeared to reboot, but not to a green front panel LED. So I power cycled it and it booted fine. I can ssh in and also access the web page. I didn't complete the configuration, change passwords, etc. as suggested in " The Next 10 Steps.

At this point I just wanted to report that the Pogoplug V4 image seems usable on POGO-E02 units without any modifications.

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.