TIPS Avantfax, RentPBX and Travelin Man 3

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I have a RentPBX account running PIAF and TM3. I installed incrediblefax as well.
If I configure the HylaFax print client for Win7 I get a message that the fax-print client can't connect to the server.

This got me thinking that perhaps there is a port that the Hylafax client uses to speak with the server which isn't open in the default TM3 setup.

Looking at the print driver 'configure' tab, it asks for the address (209.xxx ....)
also has a 'Ignore PASV IP address' and 'Use Active Mode' w. Port X (these are unticked)
There is also EPRT command uses and a timeout.

All the other settings have nothing to do with the server (paper size, dials, etc.)

I am using the maint user (as I do on my local PBX) with the correct

The driver, as configured, works (using my local IP) to fax; therefore I'm thinking firewall since it won't work on the remote PBX.

Thoughts or solutions? Google wasn't my friend on this one.

Andrew

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
More bizarre issues (and still can't connect correctly).

RentPBX with SC6.5 and Green installed along with Incredible PBX/Fax.

If I go to the IP address (209.xx.xx.yy) and log in via the admin to AvantFax I am prompted for a password.
Let's call that user/password maint/bob. Once logged in I can send a fax from the web page.

If I log in to the machine via putty and ssh to port 22, I use root/phil as the user and password. Everything for configuring the machine works fine.

On the RentPBX machine I have opened port 4559 for avantfax/hylafax.

If I configure any hylafax print driver (I have tried 3, all for a Win7 64bit machine), and configure the username/password to be each of these combinations (one at a time):
maint/bob
maint/phil
admin/bob
admin/phil
root/bob
root/phil

I get a "530 Incorrect Login" error - this is, however, further than I've gotten before since I am at least (in theory) hitting the machine and not timing out.

So, I read on the web that I can test my connection via telnet. So I fired up putty in telnet mode and pointed it to 209.xx.xx.yy and port 4559.

It connects (good so far) and I issue the commands:

Code:
220 mypbxname server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 5.5.5) ready.
USER maint
331 Password required for maint.
PASS bob
530 Login incorrect.

regardless of the combination from above that I use, my result is the same.

I'm clearly missing something stupid here, but I have no idea what it is. If I can get this working, faxing should work to the remote PBX.

Thoughts?

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
I know there's a known issue in Piaf where users (other than root & admin) are not able to be accessed--something about the users database being fractured at some point in time..

I've asked in several other threads as well, regarding ways around this for sending/receiving faxes... would love to know this myself.

Sorry that's not a complete help, but there are some somewhat-unrelated threads which go over some of this....

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Well, I now have it working on one RentPBX site, but not on a second, virtually identical one.
I'm going to have to walk through my iptables files on both machines and see if the differences are somewhere in there.

Here's what I did for those playing at home.

I created a new fax user using faxadduser.

faxadduser -a (password of root on machine) -p (new password) -u # username

I used the number 10 and (for example) a username/password of faxuser/bob
so my command was:
faxadduser -a rootpassword -p bob -u 10 faxuser

This breaks the hosts.hfaxd file by misording the required info. So go into that file (use 'find -name "hosts.hfaxd"' to locate it (no single quotes) and make sure the 127.0.0.1 command is first.

Next, go into your iptables and open port 4559 - either globally or for your trusted/remote users.

Next, download and install a Win 7 hylafax print driver.

In the driver, UNTICK both Ignore PASV IP address and Use Active Mode (locations of these tick boxes seem to change between drivers, but they seem to exist in both).

In the driver config also use the NEW user/password created with faxadduser.

My hosts.hfaxd file, after fixing, reads:

^new user - line with the encrypted password info
local hosts

This seems to work well on the first machine. I have to look at the iptables in the second since I still get a connection timed out error.

Andrew

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
OK, here's the issue.

If I change iptables to be completely open to the end user's IP the Win7 hylafax driver prints like a charm.

Apparently, hylafax creates/uses a random port to communicate in a really big range. I don't know how to limit the port range.

Additionally, for another user, his MS Win7 firewall (the MS built in one) was blocking communication; turning it off cleared the problem and he can figure out what he needs to adjust to allow the program to communicate with the firewall on. Norton didn't have this problem by default.

Andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.