PIONEERS Incredible Fax for Ubuntu with Incredible PBX install

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
kwimberl - I only have access/funds/time for GVoice right now (yes yes I know I need to find an alternative) so I haven't tested with much else.

In other news, I updated the script to install a custom FreePBX module that adds a link to AvantFAX web interface. It is a crappy module in a separate GIT repo and could use a lot of work, but hey, it works for now and is not terribly insecure that I can tell so I added it.

If you build a fresh install, it is included in the script. If you just want to add it to a system that you already set up, DO NOT RE-RUN THE INSTALLER, YOU WILL BREAK STUFF. Instead, run the code block below as root and it will roll in the changes. Once installed, you will see the AvantFAX button on the top menu of the FreePBX page if you are not logged in, or, if you are logged in already, under the "Other" menu.

View when logged in:
Screenshot from 2014-08-14 10:40:57.png

View when logged out:
Screenshot from 2014-08-14 10:41:26.png

Code to UPDATE EXISTING INSTALL ONLY - New installs will include this already!
Code:
apt-get install -y git && cd /var/www/html/admin/modules
git clone https://github.com/joshnorth/FreePBX-AvantFAX avantfax
chown -R asterisk:asterisk avantfax
amportal a ma install avantfax
amportal a r

kwimberl

Reaction score
I installed from a fresh install to test the freepbx module and it is working great!

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
I ran the installer, it appeared to go OK. Now I can't login to the Avantfax webpage (after the post install reboot). I tried Avantfax's default credentials as well as the ones associated with PIAX and the ubuntu box. Is there some instruction that needs to be made in order to get into Avantfax?

Jay Deal

Reaction score
Yep, tried admin / password and that combo did not work. Which is strange because everything else seems to be like described above, I've got the Avantfax selection available in the "other" drop down and clicking on it takes me the Avantfax webpage gateway. I just can't get into Avantfax with the default AvantFax credentials or any other credentials I have setup on this Ubuntu machine.

Is there a file I can edit to give access rights to existing credentials to access AvantFax? Or how about a command line instruction? I gotta admint, last time I tried to edit one of the AvantFax configuration files, it was quite daunting. And based on my research at the time, it seems like the location of the configuration files can vary depending on how it was originally installed.

kwimberl

Reaction score
I'll install on a fresh machine now and see what I find...

EDIT: I just installed on fresh machine. admin / password works...

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I had to be out of town this past week for business and didn't have time to look at the board. What I did is create a admin password change script based on the PIAF admin-pw-change script. So, depending on where your install is at this point, you can choose from the following methods to get this script.

Nothing installed yet?
Just download and run the script. Once complete, you will find it in your root directory, just do a ./avantfax-pw-change

Already have Ubuntu PIAF and AvantFAX installed?
Run the following commands and you will find it in your root directory, just do a ./avantfax-pw-change
Code:
cd /root
wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/joshnorth/UbuntuPIAF/master/avantfax-pw-change
chmod +x avantfax-pw-change

Jay Deal

Reaction score
As an FYI, this script worked (with modification) on a Beaglebone Black running RASPBX and IPBX. I had to adjust the MYSQL password to match the expected default MYSQL password. I also had to add a custom destination for incoming faxes (to send to Hylafax). As the BBB only has a single core, it should be noted that the Hylafax / Avantfax combo uses 100% CPU while rendering the fax for transmission so this would not be a good fit for BBB Raspbx installs that handle high regular call volume (i.e. more than 5 calls at a time). Otherwise, it works pretty much the same as Avantfax / Hylafax PIAF running on Centos.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Josh North: Looks like Incredible Fax for Ubuntu is having problems with Ubuntu's latest updates. Kills MySQL which kills Asterisk and FreePBX. Never dull. :crazy:

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
Josh North: Looks like Incredible Fax for Ubuntu is having problems with Ubuntu's latest updates

Yep - and it's not just Incredible Fax, there's something coming in all the way from a fresh Incredible PBX install. I'm getting the same results before installing the fax deal.

I'm going to try to set aside a few hours this weekend to break it down and see what is fubar-ing the thing.

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
That's definitely not helping things. I've submitted a patch upstream for that issue but who knows how long it will take.
I suppose I could write a script to fix it for PIAF purposes as long as I build in a safety to only patch known-flawed versions. A simple one-line change to the postinst script is all it takes.

jchuby

Reaction score
Ha wish I read the entire thread before running this on my UbuntuInAflash on EC2...

"I think it's still this nasty udev bug. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade = HOSED SERVER!"

YEP - HOSED!
Any way to reverse - or just redo?

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
Can you copy your console text from the upgrade attempt (or try it again) and put it on pastebin (http://pastebin.com) for me?

Also, please put the output of this command on another pastebin:
Code:
cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/udev.postinst

I'm trying to replicate the error but oddly enough, I am not getting it now :)

jchuby

Reaction score
I've since rebooted a few times, and tried running apt-get update/upgrade

dpkg gets messed up and mysql etc

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
That's fine. If I can get a paste of those commands I *should* be able to get you by the issue long enough to upgrade back to a working state. It may be a few hours though as I'm getting on the road to head home...

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
OK, now go edit that file (as root, nano /var/lib/dpkg/udev.postinst)
About 10-20 lines in you will see "invoke-rc.d udev restart"
Change the word restart to reload, save exit and try apt-get upgrade again.

Apologies for the brevity, trying to write from my phone

Josh North

Guru
Reaction score
OK copy and paste this then, and afterwards try upgrade again

Code:
 sed -i -e 's/restart/reload/g' /var/lib/dpkg/info/udev.postinst

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.