FYI Vitelity and "VitelShield"? Still need Travelin' Man?

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

Did a search and could not find anything posted about VitelShield, a product coupled with Vitelity's server hosting service. I am trying out their hosting now and wanted to ask your opinions:

Vitelity has built a new, innovative tool that we are releasing free of charge, to all of our hosted server customers. This product will enable you and your customers to grant access into the PBX systems you host with Vitelity, dynamically from any IP address, while keeping your non-SIP related ports closed to outside IP addresses. This solution does not restrict your users’ phone networks, it only protects the web interface, SSH access and other access ports into your system. Vitelity is beginning a phased roll-out of this new product immediately so please review this email to see how this change affects you.

Previously, our hosted server customers either left the administration ports open on their systems or used IPTABLES to lock down static IP addresses to allow access. Vitelity understands that not everyone is comfortable with static IP addresses, nor is it often feasible. We also understand that some of you may not know how to setup and maintain IPTABLES (internal linux firewall. Vitelity has seen many systems left open and quickly compromised very quickly which creates a major disruption and requires costly reimaging of the server. Per our terms of service, the customer (you) is responsible for managing his/her server, however, Vitelity wanted to help protect our customers so we developed this new tool that will help keep our customers secure and enable them to easily manage the access into all of their systems.

Without further ado.....Vitelity is proud to announce the launch of VitelShield

Please follow this link for a live demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZNEEQTLjHk

So, should we still use TravelinMan? Thoughts?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
As the note says, it doesn't protect SIP-related ports so you still need a WhiteList.

DaveDog

Reaction score
VitelShield is a nice little add on to make it more difficult to gain admin access to Vitelity's hosted server. I still occasionally forget that I cannot access the server without going through VitelShield first, however like Ward said it doesn't protect SIP related ports, Fail2ban helps here, but not as rock solid as Travelin' Man.

You also need to add whitelists to VitelShield to allow access to user and operator panels.

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
Working with a client on a Vitelity hosted server... so far, so good. They failed to train us on VitelShield, so it took us a while to figure out why we could not access the server... yet the phones were working :)
All good now!

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I really like Vitelity and their vMobile service. However, they could use some help making things clearer and more simple. While I like to "tinker with things" (as the wife says) other people do not....

Cheers!

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
I like Vitelity, mostly! vMobile support has been *very* poor... it took a long, long time to get things going. Growing pains are a PAIN. But, been a customer for a long time and all other aspects are doing well.
My guess is this is the result of being acquired, and the parent busy with trying to do an IPO.

fizadmin

Guru
Reaction score
vMobile shows so much promise if only they supported iPhone (which they could, easily). It's pointless if you're required to have a modded Android phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.