TUTORIAL U Need Travelin' Man

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Yes and put in my admin info etc. It resets iptables and removed all the chains leaving just the accept rules.

Tiger_Paws

Banned
Reaction score
OOPS! I got TM2. But I like it for use just as a general enemy blocker, I have not set out to use any remote extensions yet. But THANK YOU for making it! ---- (I gotta upgrade to 3 when I get about to it) -----

kcallis

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to implement TravelingMan 2 with one of the cloud server with Digital Ocean (the one listed on Nerd Vittles)? For that matter, when Ward did the pitch on for Digital Ocean (http://nerdvittles.com/?p=9236), why was TM2 used instead of TM3? The reason I am asking is since I have no control of outside routing and firewalling, I am wondering if me just tweaking iptables will make things work correctly?

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score

dbdataplus

Reaction score
If you travel for a living and use PBX in a Flash with the Incredible PBX back home, then you need our new (free) Travelin' Man app.

I have PIAF on a Proliant Server at my office. Right now the only access to the PBX is ssh and VNC port forwarding through the firewall and I' resistant to opening all the SIP ports through the firewall, but I'd like to install two regular desk sets on extensions outside my office. One is at a remote office with a static IP behind it's own firewall, the other is in an employee's home on a DHCP Charter Cable router.

My initial instinct was to set up VPN's at least between the two offices but before I go to that trouble I was wondering if Travelin Man is a better product?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
dbdataplus: Travelin' Man 3 certainly isn't better than a VPN. It's different. There is no encrypted tunnel. It's a WhiteList. For your employee with dynamic IP addresses, you'll also need something like DynDNS to monitor IP address changes at both ends. It's covered in the tutorial. Having said that, if a VPN is a viable option, by all means use it.

MisterQ

Reaction score
Thinking about Travelin Man - haven't really watched it in detail. As I understand it, it allows my Smartphone to connect as an extension on my PBX when I am "away".

Three questions - I understand that it appears that I need a DNS Name for my Smartphone? I see lots of references to androids, but I have an Iphone 6 (and no I don't want to Jail Break it).

Second Question - So, if I am in the "office" fire up my sip app, it does all of the appropriate jiggery-pokery to connect through to my home PBX (via it's Dynamic DNS Alias). Is there anything that constrains as to whether that traffic goes over my CellPhone's Data Plan, or via the Wifi in the office, and back through whatever convolutions exist between there and home,

Third Questions - so, if that bit works. What happens when I am "at home" - the IP connection (via a Data Plan) wold come through from the outside, but the preference, would be to pick up the home wifi, and have my cell phone act as an extension, but then it's on the "inside of the net".

Or am I over analyzing it all.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
With a iPhone, I think PortKnocker is probably a better fit since keeping your FQDN current won't really work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.