FOOD FOR THOUGHT Xenforo: PIAF Forum [discussion thread]

drmurdoch

Reaction score
I title searched for Xenforo ... and the old Xenforo thread is no longer. Consider this the replacement.

Feel free to ask questions or comment about the forum software here.

drmurdoch

Reaction score
FWIW, a new version of Xenforo is due to come out. Xenforo 1.4 has been in beta for a while and is now at RC1 stage with seemingly no significant bugs on the table. It should be easy to migrate pbxinaflash.com because it's using the default skin and relatively few addons.

james

Guru
Reaction score
At FreePBX we moved to Discourse and totally dig it. Discourse just turned 1 (v1.0.0) this week and is used by some big players such as boingboing and how-to-geek

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
drmurdoch: XenForo upgrade is on my list. It breaks Tapatalk every time, and it typically takes our provider weeks to figure out how to fix it. :chris:

james: Love the new FreePBX forum, but I'm not wild about the flat forum layout. Sometimes folks just want to browse through Providers, or Help, or the Developers Forum. Yes, people could search. And NO, they usually don't. So a flat layout encourages repetitive threads which I'm not wild about either. A little too much like IRC unless you have other tools like a wiki which we don't have and really don't want to babysit.

Having said that, it's academic for us. We won't be switching forum software EVER. The vBulletin migration was bad enough, and XenForo provided all the utilities. Looks like Discourse doesn't yet support XenForo migration at all.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
There are categories. Which are exactly the same as "forums" and require no searching. We have those same categories you mentioned already (plus more):

http://community.freepbx.org/category/general-help
http://community.freepbx.org/category/beta-program-issues

cats.jpg

drmurdoch: XenForo upgrade is on my list. It breaks Tapatalk every time, and it typically takes our provider weeks to figure out how to fix it. :chris:

james: Love the new FreePBX forum, but I'm not wild about the flat forum layout. Sometimes folks just want to browse through Providers, or Help, or the Developers Forum. Yes, people could search. And NO, they usually don't. So a flat layout encourages repetitive threads which I'm not wild about either. A little too much like IRC unless you have other tools like a wiki which we don't have and really don't want to babysit.

Having said that, it's academic for us. We won't be switching forum software EVER. The vBulletin migration was bad enough, and XenForo provided all the utilities. Looks like Discourse doesn't yet support XenForo migration at all.

james

Guru
Reaction score
One of our desires was to be mobile without the need for 3rd party dependence like Tapatalk. That said this forum doesn't look bad on mobile. It adjust quite nicely. The discourse guys did shuffle the paradigm a bit in ux design but functionally all the features are present. They talk a bit on their design strategy and thought process in their forums. I think we will see other ux follow in the future.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I think we will see other ux follow in the future.

I agree but forum companies like VBulletin and xenforo hardline on the "old forum" design. They won't change their ways. Out of all the "old school" thinking on forums Xenforo does the best job.

When people say that phpBB is flawed in security because it uses PHP and then use Xenforo or VBulletin instead it does make me chuckle (both PHP based applications)... as well as FreePBX is PHP based... (note that I am not picking out anyone by saying that, I am just commenting on internet "speculation" and "talk")

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The Xenforo folks actually wrote the original vBulletin code so it's not too surprising that there are some "similarities." :stuart:

drmurdoch

Reaction score
Xenforo 1.4 RC2 was released this morning.

wardmundy I don't think 1.4 breaks Tapatalk ... but no harm in waiting.
I like the "select" quoting where you highlight the text you want to quote (or multiquote).
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-4-improvements-to-replying.79243/

Most admins don't like Tapatalk because it takes away adsense revenue. As well Tapatalk advertises competing forums to your users ... but since PIAF has no competition it's fine. :) I've seen some pretty impressive Responsive Styles that get rid of the "Free Mobile style" benefit of Tapatalk.

drmurdoch

Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.